Arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3 repo update paused?

Hi,

I'm using OpenWRT 19.07.2 on an arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3 router and I haven't got any updates for a while. I checked https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.2/packages/ and it seems the last update that arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3 got was on 19 Apr while others have been normally updated after that. I googled a little and quickly searched in bugs.openwrt.org without finding any relevant info. Anyone's got an idea what happened to the repo? Thanks.

arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3 > arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16
2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response!

unusable image, in which kernel
will kill userspace as soon as it causing "Illegal instruction"

Should I rebuild the whole image then? Or updating distfeeds.conf (and possibly openwrt_release) would be sufficient?

updates are overrated... safest thing to do is wait for the next point release ( 19.07.3 ) ... which should happen in the next week or three.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

And actually it seems that patch is not even backported to 19.07.2 yet. Just pulled the repo and done a make defconfig:

$ cat .config | rg -v '^#' | rg cortex
CONFIG_TARGET_mvebu_cortexa9=y
CONFIG_TARGET_mvebu_cortexa9_DEVICE_linksys_wrt3200acm=y
CONFIG_TARGET_SUBTARGET="cortexa9"
CONFIG_TARGET_ARCH_PACKAGES="arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3"
CONFIG_CPU_TYPE="cortex-a9+vfpv3"

It has been pushed to 19.07 only, also thread may be of interest.

1 Like

Welp, looks like another patch that I'll need locally when building 19.07.3. Thanks for the info.

I hope that you are building from source or using snapshots and not upgrading packages in place (unless you are selective and know what you are upgrading and why)... see this thread for context (arm_cortex_a7, but still indicates the potential risk).

lol on PC I'm an Arch user and I've almost got somewhat a fetish to update as often as I can. So yea, guess I've been using OpenWRT in the wrong way for quite a while. Time to set up a local repo?

Or just wait for maintenence updates to the stable release builds. If you selectively upgrade packages that are not part of the core/critical system, it may be okay, but it is generally not recommended unless you really need the specific upgrade for security or feature reasons (more recent does not always mean better, or at least it doesn't necessarily equate to better on a given version/installation).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.