Are there any good x86 routers?

I'm looking for a "ready-to-go" x86 solution that works with LEDE. Can you recommend anything?

Not that much choice in the ToH (may be incomplete in regards to this target): https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_dev_arch-target-cpu?datasrt=^lede%20supported%20current%20rel&dataflt[0]=target_%3Dx86

Since some time ago I had plans to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014X9WGVY/
But I couldn't do it yet.
There is also similar boxes with 4 ports too.

Hey here.

What's the reason for requsting x86 boxes? Do you need some extra power or do you intend to run some software that's only available for x86?

Do you only need some routing device with at least one rj45 port vor VLAN trunk or are you looking for a somthing that comes with a switch and Wifi?

The thing is: Once you realize you can but both, switching and Wifi to external devices that handle just that, you might just go and try any regular low budget desktop box.

But to be honest, I did look at those Jetway devices, too. And I still intend to give it a tray at some point.

Maybe that's not what you intend to hear. Especially since that's not exactly "ready to go". But I run a couple of OpenWRT instances in Virtualbox on OS-X, Linux and Windows and at least two LEDE instances on ESX 6.5.

If you give it a decent desktop CPU like i5 or somthing, performance is just huge.

Regards,
Stephan.

I'm looking for a device that can handle 1Gb/s download and 1Gb/s upload (symmetric) with SQM enabled. WiFi is not necessary but at least two Ethernet ports at 1Gb/s are a must.

1 Like

For modern X86/amd64 desktop/server Mainboard with 2 onboard nic (you should only buy a board with Intel Ethernet Chips)

For a Intel Pentium G4400(skylake) or G4560(Kaby Lake) + any Mainboard with 2 nic should a good option but CASE, RAM, Power Supply, Storage Flash/SSD/HDD etc. make this setup expensiv. With good power supply and no Display connected this setup should not use more than 15-30 Watt energy depend on the cpu load.

BUT this setup is not supported by default you have to edit the Kernel config & build it by your self.
Kernel HW support is there, just need to enable same drivers for the Mainboard to the config and build it.
Install LEDE native on the hardware with UEFI is not so easy. Some manuell work for the boot is needed, Grub install + config and copy kernel manuell to the FAT32 uefi boot partition.
If linux is not your main System then you're probably have a hard time to get this running. :sweat_smile:

@golialive Option is good if you already have something run lede better on a VM on a fast host system.

let's see at what price this motherboard will be, it looks very interesting

are you talking about the cpu not beeing supported?

1. write x86-combined.tgz to usb-stick
  2. disable uefi
  3. boot from usb

never failed me....

The PC-Engines APU2 has some support here and on OpenWrt.

I looked at the J1900 series boards a while back and eliminated then as they do not have hardware encryption for use with VPN.

1 Like

This looks like a great motherboard. I'm hoping it will be affordable too.

What about the PCs that are being sold for pfSense? Are they compatible with LEDE?

Yes should boot if you start over USB just EHCI, XHCI, UHCI driver can boot 90% of all systems but many other driver a not included for full Mainboard support.
@RangerZ APU2 is to slow for full Gbit speed you get max ~600 with cake

Quad-Core x86 CPU is too slow for 1Gb/s ?

yes with cake APU2
Intel Pentium G4400 2x faster ~ and is just a 2 core cpu
Intel Pentium G4560 3.5x faster with HyperTherd Support
Intel® Celeron™ N3350 is slower than APU2 !!
Intel® Celeron™ J1900 is a little faster than APU2 i think you get 700 Mbit with cake

EDIT: I mean with faster Single Thread Performance

700 Mbit used to be max speed for APU1
https://pcengines.ch/apu1d4.htm

APU2 also has aes-ni allowing partial VPN acceleration.

@trimo: Did you make a speed test under latest APU2?
I have a few APU1 here, I can make a speedtest.

number of cores does not matter nearly as much as raw clockspeed (single-thread performance)

I know but when you see 4 real cores then you can expect a decent performance.

Well, the processor microarchitecture does matter more for a single-thread performance. Celeron Jxxx/Nxxx are based on low performance Atom microarchitecture. I personally use mini-PCs with Celeron 3205U/3215U/3755U/3765U - they are real Intel Core based processors.

No dint have it anymore can not confirm it again but the main problem cake not support threads if im not wrong without power full CPU is hard to get cake with 1Gbit.

I use Gigabyte C1037UN-EU Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1037U @ 1.80GHz
is able to saturate a pppoe gigabit connection without problem , one core CPU is ~60%, but I don't use sqm, I'll try later with sqm

edit: cake CPU ~65%