Are Intel X540 NICs supported in OpenWrt?

Wireguard on FreeBSD is running in userspace though, so it's going to perform worse than on Linux.

How much that is an issue on the x86_64 hardware you run pfsense on, I don't know.

There are a number of packages available but not default that you can install easily on an x86 to get stuff you would like, openssh and nginx and bash and node.js and whatever.

To clarify, in terms of processing efficiency. The go client is pretty much used everywhere else outside Linux including the upcoming Windows client. The wirespeed performance (without the CPU bottlenecking) etc is the same to my knowledge and what I've experienced on my boxes.

FWIW, wireguard uses about 30% CPU on a Celeron G1810 and about the same on a Pentium G3220 on FreeBSD 12 maxing out 100mbit so it's still pretty decent and from what I remember pretty much similar to OpenVPN. Looking at https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd-12-windows&num=2 it seems like FreeBSD about in the middle in general, so not extremely slow nor superfast however I don't know the exact performance characteristics of wireguard in Go (might be worse or better).

Yeah it's plenty enough for maxing out the WAN connection, I'm sure. A decent CPU can deal with OpenVPN too.

Still, Wireguard native on a 1.6 GHz dual-core Marvell Armada 385 (ARMv7) can push nearly the same bandwith, so I would expect some large increase.

Btw, the pfsense fork/competitor OPNSense, does have a Wireguard plugin right now (the Go Wireguard of course). https://wiki.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/wireguard-client.html
(and they will support devices without AES-NI for the next and any future releases, unlike pfsense)

Sorry for reviving but I can't help my self on this one.

Just wanted to spread the word that once one figures out how to tame this beast, which can take years, OpenWrt is the best. hands down. I've tried most all alternatives.

Once I finally have everything working I will contribute on getting the Luci UI a bit more flexible. But like I said, that can take years :pensive:

1 Like

Hi Diversity,

is there any chance you could share your network config and any other tweak you might have applied?
I am planning to install openwrt on a small futro s920 with the idea of turning it into my 10G router
I am in the "gather as much information possible" phase, your help would be highly appreciated

thanks a lot
M

Hello mcarni,

I would encourage you to indeed go for OpenWrt. It is rivaled by none!

However, I think it would be best if you create a new thread with in it specific questions to reach your specific goals or solve specific problems.

This thread should have been closed years ago :slight_smile:

OpenWrt might be a little intimidating. It sure was for me but you will be happy if you just bite through. Trust me I know!! :slight_smile:

diversity is right about moving this to a new/ dedicated thread, but right off the bat, please consider two aspects.

• the power delivery lanes of the futro board does not have much of a margin, but 10 GBit/s ethernet is power hungry and as a consequence running hot (probably too hot for the small unventilated case)
    • two-port 1000BASE-T has been found to be safe maximum (4-port likely won't), maaaaybe 2.5GBASE-T if you want to push your luck
  • the AMD jaguar CPU powering the futro isn't that fast, yes it can do a good job with 1 GBit/s, it may handle a large portion if 2.5 GBit/s, but 10 GBit/s is mist likely too much for this hardware

With 10 GBit/s in mind you need to look for faster hardware.

thanks @slh
full project is the futro as a router (with a 2port NIC) project will include a separate switch and separate ap
i am changing home, moving to a new apartment so this seemed like a nice little project
no problem in adding some extra ventilation if needed
and no problem if performances are not really 10GBit/s
it is more like a little hobby to see where i can go, and try to learn in the process

@slh, @diversity ,
i should have thought of opening a new thread... sorry...
i can do it.. maybe when i have finished the project i will summarise my findings
hoping this can help someone else...

@diversity , i am not worried with openwrt, as you and the rest of the community have shown the community is great and i am quite familiar with it, i am just unaware of the 10GB nics...
currently the installation went fine (i am just stuck on bios that says previous boot was different... but i am sure it can be sorted out... :wink: )
i am waiting for the NIC to arrive, then i might get some delay (new home.. as mentioned)
in any case, thanks for the support much appreciated

M