Archer D7 support

Hello Davide ,

at my device the mac from the stick is show at

/proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000/mac-address

The real position where the device is able to the mac grep it is inside the rom partition at the offset I have written before

There are the following mac files inside /proc/device-tree/ahb

/proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@19000000
/proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000
/proc/device-tree/ahb/wmac@18100000

My current build on device

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r10073+284-0293aa72d1

Regards,
Wolfgang

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response! :slight_smile:

Can you confirm that
/proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000
and
/proc/device-tree/ahb/wmac@18100000
shows the same (LAN) mac addres, while
/proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@19000000
shows the WAN mac address?

@numero53

as requested I confirm

.../eth@1a000000 => sticker mac address
../wmac@18100000 same like  eth@1a000000
../eth@19000000 =>  eth@1a000000 incremented by 1

Regeards,
Wolfgang

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you! :slight_smile:

@numero53 sorry for the late response bro, I wasn't able to get access to my D7 yet...

Here are the results of my D50 with snapshot image

BusyBox v1.31.0 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r10494-e05310b9b8
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@D50v1:~#  /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000/mac-addre
s
-ash: /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000/mac-address: Permi
sion denied
root@D50v1:~# /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@19000000
-ash: /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@19000000: Permission denied
root@D50v1:~# /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000
-ash: /proc/device-tree/ahb/eth@1a000000: Permission denied
root@D50v1:~# /proc/device-tree/ahb/wmac@18100000
-ash: /proc/device-tree/ahb/wmac@18100000: not found
root@D50v1:~# su
-ash: su: not found
root@D50v1:~#

Don't worry, we already solved for the D7 :slight_smile:
However you can be very useful for the D50, but you typed the wrong commands.

I wrote clearer instructions in the D50 thread so we don't go off-topic here. :wink:

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @numero53,
could you possibly explain how you got the 5GHz wifi working on your excellent precompiled ath79 image above? I've tried multiple merges of the commits from your fork on github, and even just building your repo directly, but in every case I can't get a 5GHz wifi device to even be recognised. On first boot the wireless config file only contains one device, the 2.4GHz one.

I noticed that on your prebuilt image the Wireless page in LuCI actually shows it as a
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 802.11nac
But I can't find anything in the source tree with that text!

Really stuck, but loving the prebuilt image!
Thanks!

Hi @jcd92!
Are you sure you are compiling from the right branch (this)?
For what concerns the "Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 802.11nac" string, you won't find anything like this in my commit because it's automatically recognised by the driver.
However I hope that the patch will be accepted soon.

Hi @numero53,
thanks! I was either not using the correct branch, or more likely I was not doing a clean recompile.
Either way I now get the correct 5GHz network on my fresh build as I was seeing on your precompiled image. I also see there are some important changes to LuCI and also the wifi config file that I wasn't getting before, so it must have kept some old parts of the build.

Many thanks!

how to compile the firmware? after executing 'make menuconfig' do i need changing some settings or can i just select "exit". i am new to this. thanks

Using the command make will start it building however you can also use make -j4 which will build it quicker of you have a Quad-Core system.

Do I need to change some settings when I use " make menuconfig"?
Where is the new firmware stored? Thanks.

Firmware will be stored in the bin folder of where ever you have git cloned to.

As for make menuconfig you use that area to make a configuration file to you liking that's what it's for.

Hi, i have cloned the repository from https://github.com/DavideFioravanti/openwrt , and then compiled it by leaving all the configurations as default.
I went to the ./openwrt/bin/targets/ath79/generic directory, and found 40+ bin, but none of them is for D7.
I think that i need to change some configurations.

Use make menuconfig to tell it which device to compile it for.

is the Target System (Atheros ATH79 (DTS)?
i didn't find d7 in "Target Profile (Default Profile (all drivers))".

Probably you are on the wrong branch.

Try:

git checkout archer-d7-new

And then you can run make menuconfig

1 Like
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libgnutls', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libopenldap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libidn2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libssh2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/iproute2/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libcap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/iproute2/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libcap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/nftables/Makefile' has a dependency on 'jansson', which does not exist

You can safely ignore those warnings.

Also, please use code tags - the </> button in the editor - to enclose command output etc. you post, for readability.

now i found the d7! thank you for all your help!

1 Like