Archer C7 v5 revert to stock firmware

Hello.

I have been surfing the internet for hours and i cant find a sigle guide to revert to stock firmware on my router Tplink Archer c7 V5.

If i download the original firmware from tplink site i get an error when trying to apply the firmware over web gui.

Is there any step by step guide on how to revert back to stock firmware ?

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

@Sibuns, welcome to the communtiy!

I have found this guide. The stock image doesnt have the boot word in it. I went on web gui and wanted to upload it and i get an error

Did you follow all the instructions?

There are three additional methods for flashing.

No i havent. In afraid i would Brick the device. So you suggest the TFTP? And i use the regular file that i have download from the official site?(i dont need to cut off the file?)

Will this work if i downlaod the stock firmware for my version and renamed it to my version ?

I'll just share this Archer C7 V4 RU recovery recipe here:

1. Setup ethernet adapter to use IP 192.168.0.66 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1
  2. Use tftpd32 (32Bit exactly as stated), in global settings leave only TFTP Server running, verify that it's listening on port 69 in cmd with netstat by typing:
    netstat -an 3 | find "66:69"
  3. Use Archer C7(RU)_V4_171130.bin, rename to ArcherC7v4_tp_recovery.bin and place to tftpd32 shared folder
  4. Connect ethernet cable to ethernet port 1 on the router
  5. While holding recessed "Reset" button (not the WPS/Wi-Fi!) press "Power" button and wait until data transfer LED lights up (Two arrows pointing different directions).

If everything went right - you will see "Read request for file <ArcherC7v4_tp_recovery.bin>. in tftpd log window. The flash operation took me about 3 to 5 minutes.

provided you are sure you have the correct firmware for your model... and that you watch a tcpdump/tftpserver log for the file it is looking for... then there is no harm in trying that method...

it is not listed on the toh, but many similar models use such a process...

pay special attention the the country website you use to download the stock firmware... as .bins downloaded from US may not work in your locality ( unless you rin the US of course! ).

Hi,

I just used this method on an Archer C7 v5 (EU) to upgrade the stock firmware (just for testing before installing OpenWrt) and then had to use it to debrick it (the OpenWrt install failed, probably because I didn't rename the file to something shorter as recommended in the installation instructions).

In case it helps, I used atftpd from linux, without the --trace option (the download failed twice with this), and the filename it's looking for is ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin.

Remembering to turn of the firewall also helped :stuck_out_tongue:

Have fun :slight_smile: