Archer C7 v4 support

Despite all these small issues, do you recommend installing it instead of the stock firmware?

I strongly recommend installing LEDE over stock firmware of tp-link Archer C7 v4, due to LEDE security and features (full control of your router). As a bonus you have to learn more about networking :slight_smile:
Don't install LEDE is you are networking illiterate and refuse to learn.

3 Likes

I agree. I have some experience with DD-WRT and want to give LEDE a try :slight_smile:
I just wanted to be sure before how stable it is before installing.

1 Like

note that if you have tp-link Archer C7 v4 device, you will have to flash DEVELOPMENT branch of LEDE. This means that there is no web-GUI out-of-the-box, so you will have to learn to use command line just to refresh repo and install LUCI (webGUI). Fortunately there are guides to help you with this step and this is well described on device page.

1 Like

I've installed LEDE, it looks and works fine, but way more complex than DD-WRT :slight_smile:

Now I'm trying to set up SQM, but I'm a bit confused about the interfaces. There are eth0, eth0.1 and eth0.2.
I understand that eth0.1 & 0.2 are VLANs, one for the LAN and the latter for WAN. I've changed the settings in /etc/init.d/network as you can see below:

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth0.2'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option username 'username@isp'
        option password 'password'

In LUCI, under Network -> Interfaces, I can see the WAN port as pppoe-wan.
So my question is, which interface should I use for SQM? pppoe-wan, eth0.2 or even eth0?

Another question, should I disable / delete wan6 interface (I'm not using IPv6 at all)?

Thanks!
Dor

Hey, can anyone confirm if VLAN's are working ?

pppoe-wan

1 Like

17.01.5 and 18.06.0-rc2 both support the v4 as a release build. These builds include LuCI.

You will need to go manually to downloads.openwrt.org/releases as the downloads index page does not have links to these releases.

2 Likes

I use VLAN tagging with 2-weeks old dev branch of LEDE. It VLAN works, may require workaround if VLANs are non-consecutive.

17.01.5 and 18.06.0-rc2 both support the v4 as a release build

Call me blind but I can't find the 17.01.5 release build (There is a 18.06.0-rc2 release, though) . If it exists, maybe you could point me to it as I'd like to install it. Thank you!

There is no 17.01.5 build for Archer C7 v4.

Thank you for clarifying. Then I'll stay on snapshot or upgrade on the 18.01 RC. Anyhow, the snapshot release I am using works perfectly an is rock-stable.
Thank you for your amazing work!

Did I miss the C7 v4 getting updated to DTS?? I have both the v2 and v4 model but I seemed to have missed the v4 already getting ported...

The C7 v4 is still on ar71xx with mach files.

Maybe someone is able to port it to ath79 so we could use flow offloading? I had a look at it but I was totally overwhelmed.

Because my C7 v4 is missing basic features i'd like to try OpenWRT/LEDE. I found this page https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500 with download link to snapshot. I understand it works, but is it easy and possible to get back to original firmware in case of problems or warranty repair?

And which link should i use for download/install from this page? https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload?dataflt[Model*~]=Archer+c7+ac1750&dataflt[Versions*~]=v4

Thanks!

There is a new release: 18.06.0, you should use that build.
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.0/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-18.06.0-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory.bin

1 Like

Hi, i've installed 18.06... rc2.
it seems the ath10k driver still not support packet injection on QCA9880 ac radio (5GHz channels). or just for me.
is there anybody succeeded to implement this feature for the c7v4?
the other chip good for injection with 2.4GHz channels.
there are many technical correspondence about sorry closed firmware then suggesting some firmware patches for raw tx, but i'm not that guy to understand it. Thanx

upgraded to 18.06.0 stable version recently. using the 5ghz ac as access point connected a sony xperia ultra smartphone (channel 36). under luci wireless menu it displays tx/rx rate at 6mb/s occasionally tx rate changes to 325mb/s then quickly changes back to 6mbs. meanwhile the phone permanently displays 325mbs as tx rate of the AP. the only check on true speed i carried out just accessing ssh to the router. and it has the feeling of slow response. lagging/keytsrokes dont show up on typing. (20/40/80 bandwith doesnt matter - it changes tx rate values but the same slow motion feelings)

Guys, this topic was intended for adding support for the Archer C7 v4 support.
Since official 18.06.1 images are available, I will set a time for this topic to close.

Why?

Because specific problems for this device with official releases are better handled in separate topics, in order to make finding relevant information easier. Who is going to read the previous 200-something postings, if he has a specific problem with 18.06.1 and wifi?

Therefore: Please open new topics for any open issues with this device.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.