Archer C7 as AP: opkg cannot access internet — should I bridge?

I'm using OpenWRT/LEDE for a while now on a router, but now I want to use an Archer C7 as an access point and let the other LEDE router do the routing. I figured I could just use the LAN interface and leave WAN disabled. I did this following the GUI steps from this guide. Pretty straight forward and everything works fine for the clients. However, opkg does not use the gateway I specified in LAN. It seems to be hard coded to use the WAN port/interface (or I'm missing something).

Okay, now for my actual question: I want LAN and WAN to be on the same interface, so I can hopefully install packages again. If I check the switch configuration, I see there are two CPUs. I assume because of hardware NAT. Can I safely add the WAN port to the same VLAN as the LAN ports? Do I need to add the CPU too? Or should I instead bridge WAN and LAN in the interface settings?

To address your main problem I would try to set the lan interface of your AP to DHCP client * instead of Static address. It should acquire it's IP from your main router and could probably help.

If you want your AP to be on specific address, use the IP reservation feature of the main router to fix it.

EDIT: *Setting LAN to DHCP could render your AP unreachable and unmanageable if it can't obtain it's address from the main router after a reboot or power failure. To be used if you know what you are getting yourself into :grin:

Thanks, this did the trick. Since I correctly set the gateway and subnet, what could be the difference?

Does anyone want to chime in on the VLAN/bridge question? Since WAN and LAN are separated in hardware, I'm not sure if joining them in VLAN is possible and whether I should include both CPUs in the VLAN. I guess bridging them is the proper solution for this hardware? I'm not in immediate need to do so at the moment, but I'd like to know for future configurations.

Maybe it was IPv6? If IPv6 is favored by devices when communicating locally, maybe it couldn't find its way through? Using DCHP could have forced it to find the main router as parameters are received through dhcp request.

I think you're right. I left the DHCPv6 and IPv6 advertisement service on server mode.