Archer C7 5GHz AC constantly changing speed

I'm running 17.01.4. I can see under "associated Stations" my IP and MAC listed as 400Mbits to 800Mbits (it varies), and 80Mhz. Then a few seconds later it drops to 6Mbits and 20Mhz. It will do this constantly about every 30 seconds or so.

I guess ultimately I'm having severe stability issues with AC/5Ghz. I've used wifi analyzer and I only have 1 competing AP using channel 42.

My setup is a UBNT router and 2 Archer C7's.

Any thought or suggestions?

I'm in the U.S. and have the same router.

I use channel 157 and have had no issues...

root@LEDE:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'pci0000:01/0000:01:00.0'
option country 'US'
option channel '157'
option htmode 'VHT40'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'xxx'
option hidden '1'
option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
option key 'xxx'
option macfilter 'allow'

You poor router got dynamic rate scaling syndrome. :rofl:

I don't mind dynamically changing speeds but to go from 600Mbps to 6, really! can I control this dynamic rate scaling? Remember I have 2 C7's and will be adding a third.

My config was nearly identical except VHT80 instead of VHT40. wifi analyzer doesn't show congestion so I should be able to use 80.

I also notice that the bit rate for the radio always shows 6Mbps, any clue why? Also the client TX rate is always 6Mbps @ 20Mhz. Is this to be expected?

Thanks for the help.

6.0 Mbit/s is your transmit bit rate.

585.1 Mbit/s is your receive bit rate (or throughput).

First, ath10k has problem on displaying tx rate.

tx rate is reported as 6mbps due to firmware limitation (no tx rate information in tx completions); instead see /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phyX/ath10k/fw_stats

Then for Rx rate, if there is no demands, it doesn't need full bandwidth. You can run some tput testing while check the Rx rate, it should be very stable.

Anyway, you don't have to worry about everything unless you know what you are worrying about.

Also keep in mind that the rate control algorithms only ramp up the bandwidth if there's actually demand for it, whenever the connection is idle, it always reverts back to the basic rates.

@slh That's what I was wondering. That makes a lot of sense and jives with the behavior I am seeing.