Archer C60 v2 interface "ethernet switch"

Hello

I've installed OpenWRT 19.07.3 (OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.216.62629-4d5c88b) yesterday and now I'm trying to understand what does interface 'ethernet switch' mean.

Total list of interfaces:

br-lan
eth0
eth0.1
eth1
lo
wlan0
wlan1

Looks like it's enough to use (add it to LAN) "Switch VLAN (eth0.1)" to have network connection and other stuff.

So, why should I use and configure "Ethernet Switch (eth0)"? What is it and how can I use it? For why? Should I add this interface to any firewall zone (like LAN or WAN)?

Can you please help me to understand the meaning of this interface? I had tried to configure it but saw no difference at all.

Thank you.

p.s. I understand the meaning of a switch in context of networks. I just would like to understand what is influenced by config of this interface. I saw no changes after changing its configuration. thats all

Best is to leave eth0 alone. It basically is a VLAN trunk between the onboard switch IC and the CPU of your SoC.

If you'd untag your CPU port in the switch VLAN 1 config, your LAN packets would appear on eth0 instead of eth0.1. If no switch VLAN includes the CPU port in untagged stage, no traffic will arrive on eth0.