Archer C2 V1 - 2.4 Ghz Wifi doesn't work when WPA3 is enabled

Continuing the discussion from Wifi does't work after update 19.07.5 tp link archer c2 v1:

My reply to this existing thread did not get much attention, so i thought i could open a new thread for this problem.
I updated my OpenWrt installation to 19.07.6 and got my 2.4 Ghz wifi working again by uninstalling hostap_openssl and resetting the wifi encryption back from WPA3 to WPA2.

So to me it seems like the WPA3 encryption works just fine with the 5 Ghz radio of the router, but not with the 2.4 Ghz one.
For some reason the radio just stays inactive.
This is not so nice for me, because having access to WPA 3 encryption was the main reason why I installed OpenWrt in the first place.

Maybe someone can find the reason in the logs and/ or point me to an existing bug report for this:
https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/7QqZQZhVw7/

Please test this in master, rather than the ~1.5 year old 19.07.x branch. Quite a few wireless chipsets can't do IEEE 802.11W (which is mandatory for WPA3) in hardware and fail in such a configuration - this has been mitigated (falling back to mac80211's software implementation; this comes at a performance penalty, but works) for quite s few of those (b43, rt2x00, early draft-n ath9k, …) last fall, the results of that have been merged to master, but not to openwrt-19.07.

1 Like

Could you point me to the location where i can find the snapshot images for the Archer C2 V1? I guess those are based on the master right?
Or do i have to build OpenWrt on my own to try this out? In this case i would rather wait for the 20.x release

At the risk of resurrecting an old topic. I have an Archer C2 V1 using 21.02.0 with WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz are working fine.