Application Control like on cisco

Hello,

I recently acquire a GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 and wanted to know if there is a way to do application control like on cisco.

For those who don't know I want to be able to specify that a certain application (in my case a .exe) will use a certain VPN connection. I have a dozen of VPN to configure this way with a dozen of application. Basically it will do what proxifier do but on the router and with VPN not proxy. Alternatively if you know a solution to do this directly inside windows it would be nice too.

If you know an open source / cheap hardware / low budget software that can do it, it could be a good lead.

Thanks you for your time.

My regards

If you connect a Wireless Access Point (WAP) to a router, the router will be able to allow or deny traffic to any host connected to the WAP. In turn, this discourages users from accessing some applications.

That doesn't sound like it is doing anything more than preventing certain physical ports on the router to have forwarded "off site". Sure, you can do that with firewall rules (prevent forwarding from the LAN port to the WAN port), but it doesn't sound to be "application control", at least as I would define it.

By the time a packet gets to a router from a connected host, the router effectively has no way of knowing what application generated it.

vpn-policy-routing can do that if you tag the traffic from specific exe-files with the dscp tag. either the forum thread or the README has this information, submitted by another user.

2 Likes

Ok maybe my example is badly chosen, I look at this quickly and though it was what I wanted. I deleted the link to not induce reader in a bad direction.

But yeah I am speaking about application control where you put rules for application, for what I'm doing mostly choosing the good vpn.

Ok thank you stangri I will have a look at what you propose.