AP mode wifi6 ax pcie card

I read up on related inquires in the forum, but (I assume) there has been development in WiFi since those inquiries were made. And I haven't found any about regarding wifi6 builds.

I'd like to build a wifi6 (802.11ax) router 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with mu-mimo 4x4 or higher.
On a x86 or ARM system.

What are the wifi pci-e cards (either pci express form factors, mini or standard, etc) that can run daily as (master) AP?
USB 3.0 form can also be used (if devices are available)

2 Likes

Right now, none of those exist.

QCN9074 is shipping[0] (but ath11k support is still in the process of being merged), mt7915 is probably in a similar situation (slightly behind).

Forget about USB, completely.

--
[0] prices do not make this a competitive choice compared to full ip807x SOCs with 802.11ax WLAN though.

2 Likes

Would I be able to put 2 of these same cards in 2 pcie slots and configure them to function together as 8x8 mu-mimo? Assigning one card working as 4x4 input and other as 4x4 output, therefore increasing and easing up channel space.

Is there a software or a feature in openwrt to do this?

afaik MIMO is done by the card's hardware as it requires low-level radio and antenna information.

The best you can do is to create two wifi networks with the same name/password, and put directional antennas so each wifi network will be mostly covering one zone, this will let the devices choose the one that has better reception

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.