Anyone using RPi4 as wired router?

Looking for anyone using RPI4 as wired router. Is it stable NATing 1gb fiber connection? What are you using for extra Ethernet port(s)?

You might find the information in this thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/rpi4-routing-performance-numbers interesting.

1 Like

I got my rpi4b a week ago.

I'm using the built-in ethernet port with several vlans, one of the vlans is wan. Attached to rpi4b's ethernet port is a Zyxel GS1200 8-port switch (vlan aware).

You can add more ethernet interfaces by connecting an usb3-ethernet adapter.

The rpi4b and the Zyxel switch together use about 6.5 W (with 7 of the 8 ports connected). An usb3-ethernet adapter will add about 1 W.

I have a LTE internet connection (modem is a Zyxel LTE4506 in bridge mode), the speed varies from 50 to 100 mbps (depending on the hour of day).

The cpu load is about 0.5% to 2.0%, with using luci it's about 10% to 15%.

The cpu temperature is between 64°C and 68°C. I use the original rpi4b enclosure and no heat spreader on the hottest chips.

All my clients (about 10 to 15) are connected by cable. For wlan I use 2 dumb access points with their stock firmware.

Anything more you'd like to know?

how stable has it been? reboots, disconnects, ping spikes, or anything else to report?

which image are you using?

are you using SQM?

I downloaded the complete snapshot of 2020-01-25 17:14 with
kmod=4.19.98-1-3179ed6bd7524b4b9035b90f442e9bd9

Two days ago I substituted an Archer C7 V5 (running 18.06.4) with the new rpi4b.

So far nothing special: no reboots or disconnects or ping spikes.

No.

This is a wired-only system, for wlan I use dumb access points connected via cable to the rpi4b.