Anyone has script for gaming or what is the best setting for connections to server

I want script that fix lag for online gaming, i fixed bufferbloat but still have lag is there anything else i can do

For the most part no. Lag comes from the total delay across all queues between you and the server. Typically there are between 5 and 30 hops between you and the server, any one of them could add delays either transient or consistent. Usually the worst is jitter where the delay changes significantly through time. That's often caused by transiting high traffic points in your ISP infrastructure where your packets have to compete with all your ISP's regional customers.

You can only control the delays on the link between your gaming machine, and your ISP's modem/equipment. If you have low bufferbloat as is, you are unlikely to improve things dramatically without a lot of customization. Even then, you can only gain a couple milliseconds of reduced jitter.

you can however ensure that you're playing on a WIRED connection, and without other things running on your gaming machine.

1 Like

Use traceroute to find the IP of the ISP's first router on the other end of your line. Use that for ping tests. You can't control anything beyond there.

1 Like

Wouldn't it also help a bit to ensure that the MTU value is correct?

1 Like

who wouldn't :wink:

1 Like

The MTU must always be correct, regardless of gaming or not. You might not notice an incorrect MTU on day1 (because a lot of things appear to work normally), but you will quickly see stuff failing - websites (not all, but always the same[1]) taking ages to load (running into 60s-70s timeouts), rendering incompletely, parts missing altogether, forms not working - some protocols (ftp, rsync+ssh, etc.) stalling completely. I actually assume gaming itself would be less affected (smaller packet sizes on average) than other traffic.

That doesn't mean at all that gaming doesn't need correct MTU settings, just that you will see serious issues in 'normal browsing', before your game has started up. And unless your connection uses PPPoE (so mostly ADSL/ VDSL), the MTU tends to be the full 1500 byte for most other connection types (the default, needing no special attention).

--
[1] on day1 you might put those down to, "service X must be having issues today" and don't immediately suspect your router, but you'll quickly notice more and more failure cases, making it obvious that there's something fishy going on.

2 Likes