Any way to install modern OpenWrt after upgrade 4mb to 8mb?

Hi everyone!
Is there any possibility or way to install a "modern" build of OpenWrt on a TP-Link MR3420 V2.3 with 8mb of rom?
(updated by physically corrupt ROM and only find a W25Q64FVSSIG)

Even if it is build 19 or much higher ...

Model TP-Link TL-MR3420 v2
Firmware Version LEDE Reboot 17.01.6 r3979-2252731af4 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.201.27126-7bf0367)
Kernel Version 4.4.153

Greetings! Have a nice day!

Español

Hola a todos!
Existe alguna posibilidad o forma de instalar una build "moderna" de OpenWrt en un TP-Link MR3420 V2.3 con 8mb de rom?
(actualizado por ROM corrupta fisicamente y solo encontrar un W25Q64FVSSIG)

Aunque sea la build 19 o muy superior...

Model - TP-Link TL-MR3420 v2
Firmware Version - LEDE Reboot 17.01.6 r3979-2252731af4 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.201.27126-7bf0367)
Kernel Version - 4.4.153

Saludos! que tengas lindo día!

Yes, but you'll have to build from source with your modified flash partitioning (custom hardware, custom OpenWrt); keep in mind that 32 MB RAM is still a (very) limiting factor.

2 Likes

@slh beat me to the punch. The limited RAM is probably the bigger issue.

1 Like

I was afraid that 32mb of RAM was insufficient... I had thought about Swap over USB (if it is possible to do it)

Possible, yes… but an utter nightmare for performance. These devices are simply past their prime and there are many reasons to replace them (flash, RAM, CPU performance, 802.11n).

1 Like

i understand, i am aware that it is already obsolete... i just wanted to see if there was a way to give it a second chance like PrintServer/tinyNAS/OPVN or whatever...

If your device is not internet connected (such as print server) AND on a trusted network, you probably can safely use an older build such as LEDE 17.01 which will fit easily because security shouldn't be a significant risk there (although it is not a zero risk situation). You could then install a print server or whatever other local services you want and it should be fine. Keep your performance expectations very low, of course -- these things will be slow and limited.

1 Like

Hi all. There is the same router but with increased RAM to 64MB and ROM to 16MB.
I'm trying to build version 22,23 of openwrt. For some items, I changed the addressing in the DTS file, corrected the volume in rules.mk. But during assembly there is only the kernel-initramfs file. Accordingly, the router writes that it is in safe mode and nothing will be saved. Is there anything that can be done to build a firmware image or only the maximum 18.06 version for this device?

If you modify the hardware, you do have to modify the software to learn about your changes accordingly. What needs changing, or how, depends on the individual target and -device, but most of the time it affects DTS, image definitions (recipe) and maybe the firmware helpers.

Thanks for the quick response. It is clear that something needs to be changed (added) in the source codes. Then the question is: is it even possible to compile firmware with the latest version of openwrt for a given device with such hardware changes? I'm not a developer, I'm just trying to figure out if this is possible.

Yes, if you know what you're doing - but details depend on the actual device.