Announcing the OpenWrt/LEDE merge

I've grown fond of LEDE, both the project and the name. OpenWRT is so wordy to say & type and feels so dated. Makes it sound like a flavor of DD-WRT.

I don't get why people feel this forum is so great. I spend more time hitting reload to try and get ANY page to load on here than actually reading or posting. Today alone I'm getting "Sorry, we couldn't load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem. Please try again. If the problem persists, let us know.", 404 and "429 Too Many Requests".

Now granted, maybe its just on a weaker host, but it certainly doesn't give me much faith this forum is fit for purpose.

Maybe the problem is not the forum...

One possibility would be to make the current OpenWrt forums and Wiki read-only.

Add a new forum here called OpenWrt Archive, and link to the read-only content.

also, a lot of people subscribe to specific topics, or search for things. They
won't see a poll like this. It needs to be widely advertised (I think spamming a
lot of recently active topics will be needed)
k

A link in the "blue area" at the top of the forum page should suffice.

@alexatkinuk - I am sorry to hear that you're having trouble reading the forum. I haven't heard of these kinds of problems. Would you be a bit more specific about what you're seeing:

• What browser/version do you use
  • Do you see problems visiting other web sites?
  • Can you reproduce it? What page(s) were you looking at?

Thanks.

1 Like

Can't confirm, never occured at my site.

Firefox 57.0.4 on Fedora 27. It took me 70 mouse clicks to post my previous message as it just kept failing and when I tried to edit my post to mention that, it wouldn't load.

This is not an isolated case, it happens 9/10 times I try to visit this forum.

I find it hard to believe its the browser as I'm using it now and its working fine on here, I highly suspect its time related with perhaps the server doing maintenance during peak UK hours so I keep hitting it.

This is drifting fairly far off-topic. If this is still important, please start a new topic in the "Site Feedback" category. Thanks.

Have done. As for on-topic though I still don't like this software because it clearly HAS the scope to go wrong more easily, plus I find it harder to see the dividers between posts. Its a little better on the dark theme but still not as easy as the OpenWRT forum.

I also HATE infinite scrolling because again a slight server lag and the rest of the page stops loading. Much easier and more reliable to be able to just jump to/refresh a particular page. I'd also rather bookmark a page or leave a tab open than have to rely on notifications that can easily build-up in your account if you do not visit every day.

How is that?

There is a vertical bar on the right side of every thread that shows the first post time and the last post.

Post Bar

If you want to see the newest post, simply click on the last post time. Scrolling through is not necessary.

It has a lot more scope to go wrong because AJAX driven sites when a connection fails you typically can't retry, the whole thing just fails. This forum clearly TRIES to let you retry, but then I get the too many connections error, so its not really any better.

That's still a LOT less precise than pagination IMO.

No site is perfect...

If you know of one, please post a link to it.

Have a good day.

Since you are the only one to report this, it should be addressed in your other thread...

Thanks.

That's the thing, the more fancy it is, the more to go wrong. I love HTML5 sites as much as the next person, but when I'm coming to a site for a solution to a technical problem the last thing I want is to run into ANOTHER technical problem. KISS

I will leave it here so we can continue in the dedicated thread.

No one does...

You need to find the root cause of why you are generating 429 errors.

That will solve 99% of your problems.

Move this to your other thread.

I still think its worth considering though as even if I'm the only one with the problem now, it does suggest there IS more scope for this forum software to break than I am accustomed to.

I have used forums for over 15 years without these kinds of issues but have seen more and more issues as sites move to AJAX driven designs, not just in Firefox.

I will continue further discussion in my thread.

1 Like

I also HATE infinite scrolling because again a slight server lag and the rest of the page stops loading. Much easier and more reliable to be able to just jump to/refresh a particular page.

reasonable.

I'd also rather bookmark a page or leave a tab open than have to rely on
notifications that can easily build-up in your account if you do not visit
every day.

the ability to subscribe to topics as e-mail means that you can let new message
pile up in a mail folder until you get time to deal with them.