Android device can't connect to OpenWrt

I have a LineageOS Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 that doesn't get assigned an IP address by OpenWrt and does not acknowledge it connected to the WiFi network.

The LuCI wireless page states that the device connected but was not assigned an IP address and there is a ? in the Host column.

I tried to connect even to an open network, so the encryption is probably not the issue.

The device is able to connect to every other WiFi access point that I have.

What is the router and version of OpenWrt?
Are you connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID ?

1 Like

Screenshot from 2020-01-30 14-45-32

  • The ? is normal on devices, this is likely due to a config on the Android - that in itself does not mean an IP wasn't issued. It just means that OpenWrt never learned a hostname.
  • So, to be clear, how are you determining that no IP is issued?
  • Also please verify that you have less than 50 devices (i.e. the DHCP default in OpenWrt) on your network.
  • Can you better explain what that means - given that you noted you observe its connection on OpenWrt web GUI.
  • We may need to look at your wireless config, then (and maybe network and DHCP too).
  • Did you make any changes from the default?

19.07

The frequency reported in LuCI is 20 MHz.

There is no IP issued to the device, according to the device. The device simply states the network is saved, but it is unable to connect after attempting to connect. I am, literally, giving all of the information the device gives me.

There are 4 devices connected assigned IP addresses.

I did not make any changes. Just added password. I have experimented, after discovering the issue, with turning the various options on and off and it has no effect.

This seems to be the entries from the logs:

Thu Jan 30 11:55:13 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA a8:06:00:cd:6a:17 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Thu Jan 30 11:55:13 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA a8:06:00:cd:6a:17 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 2)
Thu Jan 30 11:55:13 2020 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-CONNECTED a8:06:00:cd:6a:17
Thu Jan 30 11:55:13 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA a8:06:00:cd:6a:17 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Thu Jan 30 12:00:34 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA a8:06:00:cd:6a:17 IEEE 802.11: disassociated due to inactivity
Thu Jan 30 12:00:35 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA a8:06:00:cd:6a:17 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)

The problem turned out to be that I set 802.11w Management Frame Protection to Optional and this is the only device affected. Changing it to Disabled allows the device to connect normally.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.