Analyze firewall traffic for specific device?

Hi forum, nice to be back.
I just installed a christmas tree with wifi (an esp device my router says). Fine, it's working nicely, but it kind of give me the creeps that it's a china product and I have it on my home network now! I've not been good at using vlans so far, I got an issue with a dump ap not being openwrt-ed. So vlans for connected and wifi devices is kind of hard at the moment.

But my question is : can I look at what traffic the christmas tree is producing, in and out, destionations, protocols, stuff?
meanwhile I keep reading :slight_smile:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/firewall/misc/tcpdump_wireshark

But it's still problematic:

• To perform traffic monitoring for long time periods.
  • To analyze encrypted traffic.
5 Likes

Really??? :christmas_tree: :santa: :gift:

I have heard EVERYTHING!!!

What does it do???

• Music?
  • Lights?
  • Change colors?

(Can you drop a link?)

Ummmmmm and it's in your house!

• Does it have a camera or mic (that you know of)?!?!?!
  • Do you have to install a Chinese app on a mobile device too???
    • If so, what permissions does it ask for (i.e. location, contacts, storage, mic, camera, etc.)?
    • Are you monitoring that too?
1 Like

You can also create a separate network for you IoT devices, and regulate the traffic flow between networks.

2 Likes

It's on my wifi network and I've not been succesfull in creating an extra wifi with another vlan. Also I have a dump-ap connected that doesn't run openwrt so there is no vlan solution available for that ap. I would like to have several vlans on that one, but won't be able to do that before I buy a compatible router.

1 Like

Bought from a local shop so not sure about the brand.
Controlled by an app it does sound, lights and colors yes. It's a esspressif or esp controller that is connecting to my wifi.

Link over is somehow in the same category.

Because I don't know if it has a mic inside it's case/box, it would be nice to investigate with wireshark what traffic is going from that device. So far it's not much more than pings from my dumb-ap and replies.
Yes the app is installed on the phone, but it doesnt use any camera, microphone, photos, geolocaitons... nothing but wifi.

2 Likes