Alright new user. And half the stuff here confuses me lol

So I got a xr500. A guy from reddit told me that you do alot more customizing of your bandwidith with this programe.

Downloaded it. Installed it to my router. Got the OpenWRT interface. Found my PS5's IP address. Made it static. Got all the wireless up and going.

But he also told me I could brick my router by doing to much to it lol. So here I am.

Pretty much I want to watch the traffic of game servers that I play on my PS5 and somehow attempt to remove the lag spikes I get from 1 game I play. I connect to their detcicaded servers. And on the old Dumo it should show my ping as 40. But every 3 seconds or so it spikes up to 130 to 160.

I was hoping with this new program to maybe fix the lag spikes but removing a possable bottleneck I have to their server. I donno but here I am

The keyword for this would be "sqm", you should find information about it in the wiki/ forum. Be aware that sqm is rather CPU intensive, depending on your WAN speed, the faster your WAN is, the closer you might get to the performance limits of your hardware.

My speed is 300 down and 20 up. I don't it comes close to my router's max

Not for plain routing, without SQM - with SQM the hardware won't do much more than half of that (details about ipq8065 have been discussed for the nbg6817 before, which is very similar hardware with identical performance).

I don't understand. Like I said I'm new

SQM is CPU intensive, the algorithm will eat your CPU cycles, cycles needed to do routing, ultimately capping your speed.

If your internet activity is low andyou are still getting the latency spikes, sqm will not help.

Ok so it's just busted servers then and nothing I could do to help?

Try forcing ps5 to 5GHz wifi or connect it to network via ethernet cable.

Latency spikes can be caused by one or multiple devices/connections through which your data travels. So far, you eliminated just one possibility, the wifi hardware.

However, given that only one server suffers and other are fine the issue is likely on the internet, outside your control.

This is true, however even if average internet activity is low, there still can be burst of activity that cause issues with gaming. IMHO (but I am not unbiased here) it seems worth trying whether sqm helps or not. To rule out router CPU overload I recommend to test this with the shaper set to 100 Mbps for download* and to whatever you can reliably get for speedtests for the upload.
Also set the overhead to 44 bytes (which should be more than required which for testing is fine, we can always try to optimize things after we see whether sqm actually improves your situation).

*) Quick note, sqm shaper rates are gross rates that are invariably larger than the throughput over the shaper you can measure with a speedtest, as these typically report net payload rates (but each payload packet also carries some administrative overhead required to reach its destination, and that overhead needs to be supplied for out of the shaper's gross-rate as well).

1 Like

XR500 is the almost identical successor to the popular R7800.
(Almost the same build recipe, but no esata and more flash)
You can apply pretty much all R7800 advice to XR500.

You should be fine with using SQM setting the qdisc algorithm as simple.qos and fq_codel, instead of "cake".

And the device is really har ego permanently brick, as it has a good TFTP recovery mode.

I always hardwire my console. Even though my router is just 5 inches above it. I don't do wifi on it

I understand like 20% of what you just said lol. I know the basics

Basically, to test, and avoid CPU being the bottleneck, when setting up SQM, set your download bandwidth to 100 and upload to about 24 (your 30Mbit up -20%) and overhead to 44.

IMO, with symptom you're describing: constant, large latency spikes are issues that SQM will not solve, but I'm often wrong.

Alright I downloaded SQM. But I'm confused on alot of the words for the ports lol.

I want to use it for just my PS5. Not my whole network. But when I go to where my PS5 is it says the interface is lan. Which lan is my whole network I guess?. PS5 is pluged into the first swich on my router.

So I'm lost lol

That is not going to work well. To do its job of reducing latency-under-load, sqm's qdisc need to see all traffic over the vongested link. So sqm for a single network device can make sense if your task is to e.g. limit the maximal down-/upload speed of your PS5, but for keeping latency low it does not....

let me try to bridge the gap:

your router is handling your entire network traffic to/from public internet to/from your home clients (a.k.a lan clients such as PC, laptop, PS5 etc.). your router is neutral in handling this traffic meaning does not know which kind of traffic is important for you, so it handles everything equally. also your router has hardware limitations, your router CPU is capable to do instructions only to a certain level.

usually there are tricks implemented in every router to remove burden of routing from CPU to specialized hardware and or doing OS software level optimization so a decent router can handle even up to 1G / 1G download / upload.

now read this article: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm
it explains that too much traffic can overload your router from latency wise, e.g. the responsiveness of a game will suffer at some point while this huge traffic is handled.

the possible solution is to use sqm as others already recommended. sqm is a bunch of algorithms which are smartly recognize the important vs not so important traffic and try to expedite the important ones.

but.

there is a price here. all those hw + OS optimization which work nicely to work around the CPU limit are not going to work any longer, sqm must see all your traffic and can only use your CPU. which means your latency problem is managed by sqm but your overall throughput will decrease, e.g. from 300/30 you must go down to 250/25 in order your router CPU to keep up with traffic and run sqm algorithms to help reducing latency.
also one other drawback people tend to forget: as in case of any prioritization the more you prioritize up the more you need prioritize something else down! not everything can be promoted, something must be denoted - it is a zero-sum game.

hope it helps.

so try sqm, if it helps great. but first read the article linked.

1 Like

Alright so from I'm gathering sqm must go through all connections to my router. Then I have being down my speed so the cpu on my router is able to handle everything.

Sorry I though it was like the duma that came with my xr500. Where you can do it device by device. But I guess it has to be the whole router. That makes more sense.

Or am I missing something?

i am not familiar with netduma (i guess you refer to that) but pretty sure in principle it is doing the very same: monitors your whole traffic and adjust priorities in some way. maybe it is using light-weight algorithm. but depending on your priorities sqm can be a solution too.

Yea but you can decide what device you want a majority of bandwidth to go to. Like you can put 80% of you speed on 1 device and every other device splits the last 20%.

But I hear it does a very shitty job of it so here I am trying this.