Aggregating two links in one network

Hello,
My internet connection comes from 100 Mbps ethernet from my ISP. I have a few of these sockets so I'm trying to aggregate these links. All of them go to the same network (10.1.0.0/16). As of now I have configured multiwan with two of these links. It gives some edge for concurrent TCP/UDP connections but obviously there is no speedup in single connection scenario.

Is there a better solution to aggregate two links and get better performance gain? As I understand MPTCP won't give me anything without external device to aggregate TCP streams back together. That is not ideal and beyond scope of my intentions.

I have read some about link bonding, but I'm not sure if it's going to be better solution in my case. Can you suggest me optimal solution for aggregating two connections in the same network with the same public IP? My objective is to aggregate speed (ideally for single connection transfers as well) and to gain reliability (internet in these sockets sometimes goes down independently form each other.

Thanks for the help.

It works in a similar way:

See also: It's seems to Bandwidth cannot be superimposed using MWAN3 - #3 by vgaetera

Thanks for the answer. Ok, so you are saying that i won't have any gain with link bonding?

1 Like

Bonding won't work without active ISP support for it. All these improvements depend on recombing both connections in a better connected data centre. Without this extenal entity, you're limiten to distributing connections in a round-robin fashion.

1 Like

Is it theoretically possible to connect to the ISP network as a switch using multiple links and route packets from one host (in ISP network address space) through these links with load balancing?

In this manner ISPs switch would get packets with the same source IP but form different paths. If my switch could do per packet load balance it could split one connection into two links. Does it make any sense? Would it work?

You need support from the other end of the connection. Either your ISP supports this, or you rent some VPS with enough bandwidth, and you bond two VPN connections.

2 Likes