After installing 17.01.4 on my wndr3700 I get ip address of 64.121.xxx.x

Netgear3700 I let it auto start and it comes up IP address 64.121.240.47 and default gateway of 64.121.240.1. connects to the internet fine. But have to change default IP to 192.168.1.1 to see Web UI. no connection to internet. everything is fine on another router. What did I do? or not do. putty works on 192.168.1.1

Not sure if I understand the issue here... your router has an external public IP address on the WAN interface, and an internal private IP address on the LAN interface, that is perfectly fine.

1 Like

But I can't download any packages, I an ether on the internet or I can see the web UI. If I type in the 64.121.240.1 the connection is refused.

Where are you seeing the IP of 64.xx ? On your PC? That could happen if you are connecting the modem to a port that is part of the LAN, not the WAN port. Your PC ends up DHCPing a public IP from the modem.

ip address in ipconfig command prompt.

It should be refused. Connections to the web GUI are not allowed from WAN by default.

but this the default gateway reported by ipconfig.

Routers have at least two networks. This is the case in default OpenWRT:

• WAN, faces your Internet Service Provider
  • LAN, faces YOU

You can only access the web GUI from LAN, this address is http://192.168.1.1 by default. You can only access this service from the LAN.

That address is reported as the lan default gateway

LANs do not have default gateways.

OK when I normally type ipconfig from the command prompt it reports as 192.168.1.1. Until I tried to install lede 17.01.4 Now it reports blank for default gateway and 169.254.214.76 as the ip address

Ethernet adaptor local area connection

When you type ifconfig you should see multiple interfaces. Paste the full result of your ifconfig command.

WHAT!?!?

We are talking about your ROUTER, not your Windows computer, correct???

OK maybe people in there 60s shouldn't try to learn openwrt. I cleared my browser cache and files and now I can get to web UI. Sorry.
Check that. I only got to the web ui until I plugged in my wan, can get on the internet not web ui unless I use static gateway 192.168.1.1 and then no internet.

OK...

Neither your computer nor router should have user-provided settings for their interfaces, they should all be default:

• On Windows, DHCP Local Area Connection
  • On the router, DEAFULAT CONFIGS, FROM A FRESH RESET OR FLASH

You should be able to get Internet on the WAN port and the web GUI on 192.168.1.1 from LAN. Your device should have Internet at the same time. You do not need to configure your computer's Ethernet nor router for a standard, Ethernet-based ISP (like a cable modem, ONT, or devices set to bridge mode).

Out-the-box OpenWRT, that simple.

I don't know what to say. I went into the UI and had to connect the lan and wan. Its been "waiting for changes to be applied for about 10 mins.

What are you talking about???

• PC: clear settings from Ethernet card and plug into LAN port
  • Router: reset and plug WAN into ISP

Everything should work. Don't apply any settings.

We'll start here.

Do not connect your modem yet. Connect only the PC to the router. You should be able to log in at 192.168.1.1. Observe the WAN IPv4 on the LEDE main status page. It should be 'not connected'. Now connect the modem to the WAN port. It should change to a public IP.

1 Like

Won't work. Maybe I got a bad router, when netgear firmware was on it was incredibly slow.

OK let me do a 30-30-30 and try again.

reset router, computer win 7, can't see the web ui, This site can't be reached, took too long to respond.