Advice please on WiFi network settings

Hello everyone, sorry for posting things that I'm sure you guys find so blindingly obvious, but I'm a novice to all these things and thought it better to ask..

I'm using a Netgear R7800 router on a Hnyman build, but my main house wifi is via some BT mesh discs and I'm wanting to set the wifi up manually.

The R7800 wifi will be used purely for my laptop, it's got a wireless AC card and can use the 160mhz band.

Everything else wifi will be run via the mesh add-on network, this runs on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network.

I live in the countryside with no neighbours so interference from others isn't an issue.

What channel would be best to use for the 2.4ghz network, and do I use 20mhz or 40mhz as it's an option.

What channel would be best for the 5ghz network.

With regard to the R7800 I can seemingly set the wireless to be AC only, it gives the option of 20mhz, 40mhz, 80mhz or 160mhz, which is the best starting point? And what channel?

Cheers for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. Much appriciated.

The availability of channels depends on where you live.

You could look at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channel.

Bigger bandwidth means, well, more bandwidth (i.e. Speed).

Try to stick to indoor channels for 5 GHz, and avoid FDS channels unless you have to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.