Adguard Home randomly stops after a few days. How to get logs?

Hi,
I am new with OpenWRT. I am using Adguard Home as my DNS. Completely randomly, every 3 to 7 days, Adguard home stops. It is no longer accessible, and it means none of the devices on the network have DNS access (so no internet access). If I restart adguardhome manually, it fixes it.

I want more info on this issue. But I couldn't find any way to get logs for adguard home. I searched a lot on the internet, didn't find any way to get the logs of a specific openwrt service. How do I do that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

AGH remote, or installed on the router?

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I've installed it on the router, via opkg.
How do I get the logs ?

hi,

use logread to read syslog.

but likely you run out of space. you can check with df.

Or perhaps RAM.

I know from adguard query log that it stopped working at 8:00. When I use logread, it only goes up to 15:00. So I have nothing related to adguard in it. How can I get logs further in the past ?

How should I use df ?

You can't, it's a round robin, when it reaches max size, the oldest entry gets overwritten.

df -kh

You can increase the system log buffer size in the System settings (or in /etc/config/system). The default 64 kB is ridiculously small for modern routers. (I change the default size to 256 kB or 384 kB in my own builds).

1 Like

Beyond increasing the ringbuffer, it's also possible to relay the syslog to a remote syslog server for long term safekeeping.

1 Like

Which router you are using? Some routers might be lacking resources that you can't really run too many packages.

I don't think it would be because of the power of my router. It's an Asus RT-AX53U, at normal usage with some services enabled, (DynDNS, Upnp, Adguard...) I have still a lot of RAM / CPU left.

Logging to another device is interesting, I'll look into that to log on my rpi4.

Is Adguard stopping a known case ?