Adding wl-WN529b3 as supported?

Edit, the 2.4g/5g/LAN1 and LAN2 ports work fine. The LEDs/Reset switch and WAN port do not.
With the limitation of memory it's not worth the effort in my opinion of getting this fully supported. Still, WRT has extended the lifespan of my device.

Hi,

Total newbie here but I had an old WiFi point which isn't officially supported but works. So thought I'd offer feedback/get it potentially listed as supported? I don't want to add it to the Wiki pages as (being new) figured it should be vetted first.

The model is Wavlink WL-WN529B3 AC1200, however this:

A) Seems to be sold under multiple brands - in searching I've seen all sorts of brands
B) Even under the Wavlink name it seems to be boxed in various models/physical forms but the underlying hardware seems to be the same (by checking the chipsets/capabilities/LED count etc).

I followed the instructions here: https://openwrt.org/toh/wavlink/wl-wn575a3 except that I had to use 192.168.9 subnet, not 192.168.10, and name it "upgrade.bin". Was a bit of a hail mary and I did expect to brick it but no, accepted the firmware (openwrt-23.05.0-ramips-mt76x8-wavlink_wl-wn575a3-initramfs-kernel.bin) fine and identifies as a Wavlink WL-WN575A3.

Only issue I found is that it can't be reset to defaults; I have to install the firmware over TFTP every time I want to reset to defaults. And the LED's seem inconsistent. The LAN LED's seem to be randomly allocated/randomly work.

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.15.134 (builder@buildhost) (mipsel-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc (OpenWrt GCC 12.3.0 r23497-6637af95aa) 12.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.40.0) #0 Mon Oct 9 21:45:35 2023
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : MediaTek MT7628AN ver:1 eco:2
machine                 : Wavlink WL-WN575A3
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24KEc V5.5
BogoMIPS                : 385.84
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa                     : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp
Options implemented     : tlb 4kex 4k_cache prefetch mcheck ejtag llsc pindexed_dcache userlocal vint perf_cntr_intr_bit perf mm_full
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
package                 : 0
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

root@OpenWrt:~#

if the B3 have the same specs, as the A3, it's hardly worth the effort required to get it (officially) supported, as the A3 will be EOL:ed coming release, due to insufficielt flash and RAM.

Oh, absolutely if it's near EOL then don't bother; up to the wider community who know more than me.

It was more that this model, WN529, seems to be almost identical to the WN575 series. But maybe that's already well known? Doesn't seem to be documented anywhere I could find.

it might very well be undocumented/undiscovered, your post is appreciated, trust me :slight_smile:

Yeah it may help someone in the future.

But looking at the two devices:

-The WN529B3 has no dedicated reset button, the WN575A3 does. One would assume that the FW for WN575A3 (running on the WN529B3) is looking for a reset switch signal which it's never going to get. Hence why I have to re-image it to clear the config back to defaults.

-It's actually only the WAN/LAN1/Power LEDs that work. Nothing else, including LAN2 (which is otherwise fully functional) does. It seems the LED's are totally different between the two models. EG I have no signal strength LED's, and the WN575A3 has no WAN LEDs.

Speaking of WAN. I had no idea it had a WAN RJ45 port until I just pulled it off the wall to read the LED labels. The WAN port lights up but seems totally inoperable and not even recognised in WRT.

So yeah, not worth the hassle. I'm sure someone somewhere could solve the above but really not worth the effort. Will update my original post for the record.