Adding support for Mercusys MR90X

21.02 - 4 release candidates
22.03 - 6 release candidates

Therefore, I assume that there will be at least 4-6 release candidates.

Congrats! Our backporting pull requests were merged. Thanks to Hauke!

2 Likes

Where is found to purchase this router?

depend's on where you live, dosn't it ?
not even amazon is available world wide.

Do you have an internal photos of this router ? (PCB) Thank you

You can find them here https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=1065359&view=findpost&p=121828008

1 Like

@csharper2005
I got as far as step 17, only for step 18 to state:

sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-mediatek-filogic-mercusys_mr90x-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Fri Jul 21 18:32:35 UTC 2023 upgrade: Image metadata not present
Fri Jul 21 18:32:35 UTC 2023 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware
invalid sysupgrade file
Image check failed

Tried with the community build and snapshot, but neither is letting me.

Any ideas?

Also if someone has link for the stock OEM firmware, please share, as I cannot revert back due to not having the OEM firmware.

Thanks

Okay I got further, as for some reason I copied file into /tmp/tmp

got is passed to

root@OpenWrt:/# sysupgrade -n /tmp/sysupgrade.bin
verifying sysupgrade tar file integrity
Fri Jul 21 18:48:17 UTC 2023 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: Connection failed
root@OpenWrt:/#
Session was closed

However no GUI, retraced steps, but got kicked and reboot back to locked GUI with please upload firmware...

But without the OEM Firmware I am stuck without being able to try again.

GUI? Snashots has no GUI by default. Possible options:

1. Install luci https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials
  2. Add luci, luci-ssl packages to the image and flash it - https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=mercusys_mr90x-v1
  3. Install unofficial 23.05.0-rc2

Do you still have ssh access or device is bricked?

Thanks will give that a go once back up. Think I made a mistake with the bin file in wrong folder and ended up getting the wrong one loaded and lost power to unit...

As for right now, lost backend access ie ssh, telnet and standard gui. However base 192.168.1.1 recovery flash back to OEM firmware seems to be there.

So soft-bricked for the moment.

So for now only issue with further testing is that I do not have a OEM firmware and cant seem to find one online.

I have mailed their support for a firmware file as all their other models have ones linked but the MR90X does not thusfar.

Unless someone has a vaild oem firmware to try, will have to wait on their response or when they eventually post firmwares on their web page.

Have you managed to get the OEM firmware from the support team?

1 Like

FYI: there is now a firmware package on the Mercusys site (released 2 days ago).

1 Like

Thanks!

Description on site: MR90X(EU)V11.1.0 Build 20220916(Multi-language)
But filename: MR90Xv1-up-eu-ver1-0-0-P1[20220916-rel57784]_nosign_2022-09-16_16.04.36.bin

Good news. It seems that now have vulnerable fw 1.0.0 image which allows us:

1. Install OpenWrt without UART (we can downgrade to 1.0.0 if Mercusys released new fixed firmware)
  2. Debrick the router using web recovery if something goes wrong
1 Like

Yes they did, but only after few mails back and forth finally got them to post the firmware to their website. Of which they only let me know per mail, exactly 5min after I had already dropped off unit off at supplier, as they took up till then to actually get back to me outside of "we are consulting engineering" for the firmware file.

Will see what happens, if they give me another unit, will likely try again in future, but for the time being its already been processed with supplier.

2 Likes

thanks for organizing it.

How to install without serial port access?
Is it likely to be supported in rc3 ?

as described in the wiki

I was wrong, apparently it's been back ported.

1 Like

Yes. Backport has been merged to 23.05.

1 Like

It is already in the 23.05 SNAPSHOTS, as I am running 23.05-SNAPSHOT r23353-9d10944de7 on mine. I am not so sure how to get them though, they seem to be only available via the Sysupgrade Server and the attended sysupgrade flow after initially having installed it manually as SNAPSHOT and then downgraded.

1 Like

It's only been in snapshots so far ...