Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

telnet was still enabled?

Should -rootfs.ubi be written to overlay partition? not rootfs?

Do you know if those commands need to be executed before writing images to firmware, fimware1 and overlay using mtd?

nvram set flag_boot_success=1
nvram set flag_try_sys1_failed=0
nvram set flag_try_sys2_failed=0

EDIT: I've added a tutorial how to install OpenWRT https://github.com/mikeeq/xiaomi_ax3200_openwrt

3 Likes

Wow, good job!

@thorsten97 I will bump the question, can you share the build config?

Maybe other guys with successful builds will know what I'm missing here to build factory.bin and rootfs images, only sysupgrade is produced with that config.

@namidairo wasn't the factory image definition removed from here and that's the reason why it's not being built? It was there before...

Ahhh ok, so guys in the PR suggested other partition layout than it was before and now only one needs to be flashed... Lovely, is there anyone to test the new image on stock fw?

1 Like

Is it as easy as it looks? If so I will buy 2 AX3200: they seem better than the Belkin RT3200 as the Xiaomi AX3200 has external antenna's.

It's a game of luck. If telnet is enabled, it's fairly easy. Otherwise, it's impossible at this moment.

2 Likes

Ok, clear. And you can tell from the box which version you have, I assume?

If you can get the RT3200 then get that, tbh. There's no amp stage on this one either to my knowledge, so any difference you would get in reception would probably be far outweighed by the better support on the Belkin/Linksys. Additionally, the antennas are soldered to the board, not connected with U.FLs or similar as they are on the Belkin.

Additionally, the enabled telnet on international units appears limited to early units. Presumably one may be able to map out which units may have it based on the manufacture date, but that's not really a sustainable solution in the long-term.

2 Likes

Thanks. Aside from the antenna’s the AX3200 can be mounted on the wall, which I prefer. And it costs 61 euro while I can’t find the RT3200 for less than 103 euro.

1 Like

I've been lurking around this topic for sometime, hoping this device gets supported by OpenWrt.

Are there any hopes?

The device is supported by OpenWrt if you manage to install it. However, installing it is a problem, mostly related to luck.

2 Likes

Do you know which version have telnet enabled?

AX6S (Chinese) or AX3200 (Global)?

There is no rule unfortunately. Based on the data so far, only earlier models of global ax3200 have it enabled.

So if I buy one unit with telnet disabled, there is no way to install openwrt?

Mine came with telnet enabled, a sticker outside the box shows the production date: 08/2021

I might buy one unit from AliExpress, any chance you bought it from there?

If it helps anyone. I've got the global version and it came with telnet enabled. Its production date was 09/2021. Came with MiWiFi Release 1.0.35. and even after the update to 1.0.71, the telnet was kept enabled.

2 Likes

In Europe you can buy it here: Xiaomi Router AX3200 - PBC-Store - PBC-Store

I've decided not to buy it as I've decided to limit the amount of chinese-chinese goods I purchase.

Hi, did you got 800Mbps using 2 streams or 4 streams?

I get that on both the Macbook Air as well as Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 wifi card on my PCs motherboard.
Since ax200 is 2x2 i guess I do it with 2 streams.

1 Like