Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

It is in
luci-app-mtwifi/root/usr/lib/lua/mtkwifi.lua
luci-app-mtwifi/luasrc/view/admin_mtk/mtk_wifi_overview.htm

1 Like

I'm using this router purely as an access point and I must say that this is an exceptional piece of hardware for the price. The speeds and range I'm getting with the proprietary Mediatek drivers is incredible. Thanks to everyone in here for helping get this project off the ground.

im using ax3200 with "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r20011-265f402fbd / LuCI Master git-22.167.28356-8effea5" . Signal strenght on that firmware is not so good.
is it possible to download, or "cook" myself a sysupgrade.bin with newest firmware? or maybe i can use "sysupgrade.bin" from this thread ?

can anyone give me any advice? :wink:

Feel free to use the image I built above.

1 Like

i received my unit with 12/2021 production date, now the nightmare start. int version

hi, what is latest info about image for this xiaomi router?

I got 3 of the RB01s this week, they were very cheap (I think someone made a typo, replacing the first 7 with a 4 -- this has been fixed since). Ordered them instantly without caring about whether telnet would be enabled out of the box.

All were 11/2021 models with telnet disabled, so went the UART route. All went smoothly, and I owe everyone who contributed a beer or two. I'm super pumped to have these working. For those hesitating about the telnet thing -- if you've soldered before and have played with Linux, you'll be fine. Bit of tinkering, but nothing crazy.

I followed @mikeeq 's wonderful guide, and it worked without a hitch. After that did a sysupgrade to @gyrex 's rc6 build from luci -- and all is well. Next up will be to configure these as dumb APs (recommended settings are welcome).

Since doing it 3 times today, I wanted to share a few tips that I didn't see outlined as clearly. Hope it helps someone who like me hasn't been doing this kind of router surgery in the last decade.

• When prying open the case (after loosening the 2 screws at the bottom) - start above the ethernet ports and work towards the long side of that edge.
  • When flashing the Xiaomi recovery image twice to enable you to select the U-boot option -- you need to boot the recovery image in between (not holding the button). The correct procedure is 1) Flash Xaiomi recovery over tftp by pressing the button 2) Boot that image without pressing the button until the led is stable blue 3) Flash the same as in step 1 4) Select U-Boot over serial and tftpboot OpenWRT recovery without pressing the button
  • When you want to interact with the OpenWRT recovery system over the network (to send the sysupgrade.bin), you need to change your network settings on the PC to be on 192.168.1.2/24, rather than the 192.168.31.100/24 that's used for tftpboot.

Again HUGE thanks, this has been fun to do.

6 Likes

thanks alot, waiting for uart adapter.
so you connected tx , rx and VCC - 3,3V. no gnd
is that right?

I connected all 4 wires. VCC on 3.3v with tx on the router to rx on the adapter and vice versa.

1 Like

Vcc should never be connected (unless you know why, for very specific converter hardware).

1 Like

so i don't need connect Vcc? i have zero experience with this

You mustn't connect Vcc, otherwise the magic smoke might escape.

2 Likes

Magic smoke escaping doesn't quite satisfy my curiosity. Here's a more technical explanation: https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/port.serial#voltage_levels

This honestly is a little buried in the documentation. Not having read that before, in my case with 3v3 on VCC, neither the router or USB-TTL were fried - YMMV.

but will this work without vcc connection, i still don't get it?

Yes, it will if you are using an adapter using an IO voltage level of 3.3 volts. That VCC connection would be for an intelligent adapter which could sense the IO voltage to adapt to. However, most cheap adapters either are single IO voltage level or use some jumpers to manually set such level. Plus those adapters VCC is often just the 5 volts from USB which could potentially fry your device if connected. So best is to just never ever connect VCC on such serial UART headers unless you know exactly what you are doing.

1 Like

The power will be supplied to the router by the adapter it came with, you don't need to supply external power via this VCC connection. So once the TX, RX and GND is connected to your TTL then switch on the router and watch the console / via Putty if you use Windows :wink:

2 Likes

success,not easy at all.

scan for other network does not work, wpa3 option is not there, sta mode does not work.

Can you elaborate on what you found challenging, and how you solved it to help others?

I've also been playing with the wifi settings with the mtkwifi (proprietary) drivers, and it does indeed come with some challenges. The image doesn't come with the wireless-tools package, which helps -- but iwpriv is unable to hit the right ioctls in the kernel (the luci app is not great, but I prefer setting it up through cmdline).

1 Like
Sun Jul 31 16:14:54 2022 daemon.err uhttpd[1218]: sh: iwconfig: not found
Sun Jul 31 16:14:57 2022 daemon.err uhttpd[1218]: sh: iwpriv: not found

sorry i'm not sure, are you able to make it work as sta?
edit
wireless-tools was missing,now working.

vcc not nedeed, and i tfpt the same recovery image 4 or 5 times, i don't know why.