Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

fwiw, I have been running this device on 22.03rc4 for a few days now with no problems at all with wireless. I am using it only as an access point

It's strange because I have another AX6S which only acts as an access point (problem device is the router) broadcasting the same SSIDs on the same VLANs - basically identical wireless configuration - with no problem at all.

quick question: what temp is your ax3200 running at?

mine is mounted under a desk and I'm not sure if it's running too hot (~55C avg, with a max of 58C ), because its vented panels are rather blocked off at the moment; I dont know if it's something that I should worry about, and if I should consider moving it.

any input is highly appreciated, thank you!

To be fair, I did also consider that temperature could be causing the problem. The device that has this issue is located in an airing cupboard on the wall above the hot water tank (this is where BT installed the fibre line into the house). The device that doesn't have the issue is in a small cupboard with a QNAP NAS in a converted garage, where the temperature is cooler. How did you find the running temperature and I will look into this further?

I'm using luci-app-statistics with collectd-mod-thermal for monitoring.

you can also ssh and cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

1 Like

On the problematic device, are you using DFS channels? If so, try using a non-DFS channel to see if things improve.

Both radios are set to auto at 160 MHz width so the 5 GHz radio will use DFS channels, but this seems fine. The problem is with the 2.4 GHz band which clearly doesn't use channels in the DFS spectrum.

On a different issue: I just tried a master snapshot build now. Setting 5Ghz radio to AX completely disables the radio. Setting it to AC does work.

Rolling back do 22.03-rc4.

I installed OpenWRT on my AX6S using the guide on https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3200. Can I do a sysupgrade using RC4 from https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0-rc4/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-22.03.0-rc4-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I understand there are compatibility issues between certain binaries due to partition differences, but the output of cat /proc/mtd is similart to the page on GitHub https://github.com/mikeeq/xiaomi_ax3200_openwrt

Hello,
I uploaded openwrt on ax3200 BR01 using UART.
I have a problem at startup, uboot is reported every time and must select the first option from the menu (1. Load firmware 0...) on which openwrt is new and work.
On default 3, I have MT7622 console.

U-Boot SPI NAND 

1. Load firmware 0 and bootup.
     2. Load firmware 1 and bootup.
     3. Load firmware selected by Xiaoqiang and bootup.
     U-Boot console

trigger button release!
  Press UP/DOWN to move or Press 1~3 to choose, ENTER to select
Erasing NAND...
[mtk_nand_erase_hw] mtk_nand_erase_hw @4249, ret:0x40. page:0x280
Erasing at 0x140000 -- 100% complete.
Writing to NAND... OK
Booting System 1

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x20c0000, size 0x2000
 8192 bytes read: OK
[do_read_image_blks] Image format error,neither FIT image nor old image.
Bad Magic Number.

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x20c0000, size 0x0
 0 bytes read: OK
bootm flag=0, states=70f
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
MT7622>

Please let me know how to fix it.

it seems to have been fixed in the latest snapshot (Wed Jun 29 11:16:42 2022) OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19958-aae3a8a254 / LuCI Master git-22.167.28356-8effea5

1 Like

5s reset + power, uploaded ..initramfs-recovery.itb then ..squashfs-sysupgrade.bin. All SNAPSHOT Jun 29, nothing helped
edit, ups, not for me

Follow up on my 5Ghz not working on rc4 and snapshot : it now works perfectly... with the original alpha Chinese firmware.

How did you revert from OpenWrt back to the stock firmware?

With the Xiaomi recovery tool, that's normally used for debricking.

1 Like

I also experienced this bug in the snapshot build. For now I restarted the whole router but as @SparkyDan555 mentioned that it can be fixed by restarting the radio, I might as well create a daily scheduled task to run /etc/init.d/wpad restart at early morning to temporarily alleviate the issue.

What temperatures is your device running at? Is it positioned somewhere it is likely to get quite warm? I’m trying to figure out if the device is overheating and shutting down the 2.4 GHz radio.

It is indeed warm, currently sitting at 66C. But I’m still not sure whether it was caused by the thermal shutdown or not as the radio still detected through LuCI and the 2.4GHz SSID still appear on the list. I’ll try to reduce the power output to help lowering the thermals and see whether the problem still persists or not.

The firmware image was updated recently. You may want to try that out and see if that helps.

As for temperatures, I'm clearly on the opposite hemisphere as the ambient temperature is keeping mine under 45 right now...

I’ve finally managed to replace the stock firmware on my RB01 with blocked telnet using Xinetd/bootp/tftp and UART on a single Raspberry Pi. As I never used any of those tools, I wasn’t sure if this was possible for me but everything worked !

I’m currently using OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc4 and everything seems stable.