Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

I wanted to say thank all u guys.

I needed to put a especific MAC addres in wan port to my internet to work. So, i need openwrt.
I have a old monster, wrt4300. Its all fine, but i wanted a new, more modern, device. So i decided to buy that AX6S.

I bought one when this topic has caught my attention.
Arrived for me a rb03 version with telnet disable. Made all the sugestion and got openwrt on that device.

Sooo, i put my MAC addres in wan port and i got a crazy situation.
My AX6S got internet, it able to update himself in sofware tab but none device conected to it got internet. I tried so many configuration that i lost conection to the device.

So, i reseted it pressing 10s the physical button.
Puted my mac addres again, the same way i did before and.... its all fine now! great velocity, great stability. Just a astonithing work of all u guys. Thanks again!!!

Two WiFi repeaters at home broke. Would you guys recommend this device for simple repeater/mesh duties (no routing or firewalling)?

1 Like

Hello there, i need some help here,
I've success flash the openwrt snapshot, but i can't access to 192.168.1.1 with any browser, i tried chrome, firefox, opera, edge, and even with different pc, i tried restart both pc and router, but still no luck!

i can ping 192.168.1.1 and is showing default gateway there with ipconfig command, also i can connect with ssh.
what is going on here????

I got RB03 here, and followed the step here https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3200

Maybe have something to do with LuCI?
how do i install that?
when i execute opkg update, it says i dont have internet connection, but im connecting to internet with wifi and lan to the router.
how to solve that? anyone please help me

thank you!

3 day after the same problema returned.

The router has internet. The tab diagnostics ping and tracerout give normal values.

All device conected to the router (cable or wifi) dont have internet.

Is that a bug?

Snapshot images do not have LuCI web interface packages pre-installed. You need to SSH into the router and manually setup your internet connection in the configuration files. This will be specific to your ISP/setup. Once connected, you can issue:

opkg update
opkg install luci

Alternatively configure the device as a DCHP client and connect via Ethernet to your existing router. This will provide the temporary internet to the device needed to install the packages.

The latest 22.03 release candidate version includes LuCI support without installing additional packages.

Further guidance is available in the wiki.

Thanks for the reply, so which port I should plug my cable into the ax3200? Wan port or lan port?

That depends on which method you are using. If you are setting up an internet connection directly on the AX6S you should connect the WAN port to your modem/ONT. If you are doing the DHCP method using your existing router for internet, connect the AX6S to your main router using a LAN port (don't forget to disable the DHCP server in the config files on the AX6S since your main router is now the DHCP server).

I recommend it to providing mesh network on 5 GHz.
I don't recommend it for mesh on 2.4 GHz: it destabilize the mesh network after joining. :woman_shrugging:

If your ISP device is acting as router, I recommend the following:

Add your WAN port to your br-lan device.

Delete any interfaces that use the WAN port.

Configure your LAN interface (br-Lan device) as DHCP client.

This way you can still use your WAN port and access your OpenWrt device from the network.

Also don't forget to disable the services you won't use, such as DHCP, DNS and firewall

service dnsmasq disable
service odhcpd disable
service firewall disable

2 Likes

Should Software flow offloading be enabled on this device ?

Yes. Even more: if you don't use/need SQM, you can enable Hardware Flow Offload for even better performance.

2 Likes

If I get the International version and telnet is disabled can I flash Openwrt if I execute the commands over Serial instead of telnet? I can solder 4 pins and have the required hardware

Not really. They disable input from uart.

However, according to another post here, uart allegedly fails open on incomplete recovery flash. As there's not really a lot of people who would try that, it's hard to verify. (I still have it all plugged in, but I can't be bothered setting uart_en to 0 again and trashing the current install to try)

I'm new to OpenWRT, previously used dd-wrt on another router.
Am trying to understand how to setup WLAN on different VLAN, but can't figure out how to configure it. The AX6S is to acts as a wifi router + managed switch connected to firewalla. Anyone able to help?

Also, what is eth0 vs just the LAN ports? Assume it is the internal switch. Should I attach eth0 to the bridge for the vlan or the actual lan ports?

I managed to successfully flash a locked RB01, production date 11/2021, with the steps provided in the posts above (484 & 500), just the other day.

the only issue that I had (later discovered that I was not the first one to encounter it, by digging thoroughly through the thread, post 565) was that after booting up openwrt through recovery and doing a sysupgrade, the router was getting stuck at uboot; the issue was solved by setting the correct envs (post 258), everything went smooth as butter afterwards.

thanks guys, I appreciate you all, for all the info that I found in this thread.

4 Likes

Hi,

It bit depends how you want to configure it.
In my case I wanted 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks to be one network.

First you will need a bridge to combine both wlan adapters.

Network -> Interfaces -> Devices
Add bridge device, just name it to example IOTBridge

Then Network -> Wireless
Open Edit first wireless adapter
On General setup at bottom there is network selection option.
Just write there example IOT and it will create that interface for you when you save.

Next you will need to configure Network -> Interface -> IOT
Add IOTBridge to Network dropdown.

Do same for next adapter.
(name both wireless adapter to same SSID)

And rest of the setup follow these instructions:
[OpenWrt Wiki] Guest Wi-Fi using LuCI

Flashed the "closed beta" but telnet is still disabled: {"telnet":false,"init":true,"wl0_ssid":"Redmi_DA47","ssh":false,"version":"1.2.7","facmode":false,"4kblock":false,"secboot":false,"wl1_ssid":"Redmi_DA47","uart":false}

What can I do now (RB03 2022.01)?

I tried the "closed beta" method coming from every stable firmware version available for the RB03, still telnet never worked. Maybe they fixed this exploit? My unit is a bit newer (2022.01).

Did you try the port or just look at the webui endpoint?

I found that when I flashed the closed beta the api endpoint still said false, however telnet was open and running.

1 Like

You are correct! The endpoint does not update but the device responds to telnet on port 23 (I was trying 22), thanks!