Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

Another success story. AX3200/RB01, production date 11/2021.
UART method using @mikeeq 's guide.
Everything seem to be running as expected so far (running 22.03.0-rc6).
Thanks a lot !

1 Like

yes, but i think are the best solution in this moment for wrt.

so, both wifi working fine?

Yes, no problems so far.
5Ghz with a number of android and ios devices.
2.4Ghz using two SSIDs, with ~ 50 IoT devices.
And a couple of VLANs.

is there anyone who uses it as a repeater? apclii0 after each reboot does not work, it must be started with the reload key.

no commands work from the terminal so nothing can be added to /etc/rc.local.
i cannot understand what kind of command the reload key in luci do.

1 Like

I'm stopping with the proprietary wifi drivers - they are good if you want a simple setup and the performance is better, but the missing features are a deal breaker for me. Please let me know if any of these are working for you, maybe I just didn't figure them out.

Proprietary drivers:

• Get better speeds
  • Have marginally better range
  • Don't support multiple APs on the same frequency (e.g. guest network)
  • Only support wireless Mesh (FT over DS isn't supported)
  • Don't support 802.11r fast roaming for hand-off between APs

The open source drivers have their own quirks, but hopefully will improve.

• Stable at AC speeds on 5ghz
  • Proper wireless handoff using 3 APs with FT over DS
  • Allows setting up a guest network on its own VLAN
  • Can leverage usteer to instruct client roaming
  • AX was a little flaky for me when doing hand-off between APs
  • Slower speeds than proprietary driver (still getting 400 mbit in most places around the house)

I'm still playing to get the best settings, but since I don't need gbit speeds over wifi - the open source driver is more suited to my needs.

5 Likes

sorry for late solution
mtkwifi reload
that will solve repeter mode after reboot

So i bought another one, but this time router has telnet disabled [prod.date11/2021].
Bought some USB/TTL and then used @mikeeq tutorial to get openwrt. Thank You!

But I did everything under windows.
Programs i needed:

Step 6-9
For TFTP Server I had to change some things.

PC IP 192.168.31.100
Mask 255.255.255.0

Bind tftpd64 server to 192.168.31.100 and turn on DHCP server for tftp (192.168.31.0+some.range.ip[e.g.192.168.31.99])
And later i had to change file name "C0A81F64.img" to "C0A81F00.img"
Just watch UART console - there's info that uboot is looking for "filename.img" under 192.168.31.100

For step 11. I used winscp

3 Likes

One of my devices bricked after sysupgrading to RC6 (sysupgrade image).
Can you guys take a look at this thread?

I’ve been running my problematic device on rc6 for a while now without experiencing any dropouts. So for me at least the problem seems fixed even though I don’t know what changed to fix it.

2 Likes

Hi, not sure if anyone is having the same problem with PPPoE using OpenWrt firmware same as mine. My internet setup is NBN Black Box then Redmi AX6S. After I input my ISP username and password, the router connected successful and it got IP4 ip address, DNS1, DNS2 from ISP which is good. But the problem is I can ping any website but I cannot access it though browser. I'm not sure it is my ISP issue or my config issue. Can someone please confirm your PPPoE working and share your config ? Curently I have to use a modem to do PPPoE part and AX6S for wireless router (Black Box -> Modem -> Redmi AX6S). I found a similar post and tried but no luck. Thanks.
LAN devices can ping a website, but broswer can not access that website - Installing and Using OpenWrt - OpenWrt Forum

Ah, an Australian user...
Black box implies... HFC?

I'm guessing that since you require PPPoE, you're probably on a TPG Group provider. Therefore, you must be sure to tag your traffic with vlan id 2.

1 Like

Firewall added to WAN/PPPOE interface?

1 Like

Yes, I'm in Australia. I'm not with TPG provider. Currently when I input my ISP username and password, I'm able to ping google.com and able to open it on browser. But when I tried another domain it does not load the page.
I tried add vlan id 2 as you suggested but still not working. This is what I did:
Go to Interface -> Devices tab and add new VLAN with id 2 (wan.2)
Change WAN interface from DHCP to PPPoE and change device to wan.2 above. The PPPoE failed to login.

This is recommended settings from my ISP

Connection Types:

HFC, Fixed Wireless & FTTP: Ethernet WAN

FTTN/B: VDSL

VLAN ID Settings: No VLAN

VLAN ID: VDSL

Firewall was added to WAN interface by default. I only changed WAN interface from DHCP to PPPoE then input username and password. I can ping google.com and access that domain on browser but I cannot open other websites although I can ping them successful.

Oh, if it's not one of the vlan using rsps then it should just be PPPoE, entering the correct username/password (They would have sent it in an email most likely) and adding the interface to the right firewall zone.

Success story. AX3200/RB01, telnet was disabled. It came with 1.0.50 firmware.
Opening the case was harder than installing OpenWrt :sweat_smile:

Followed @mikeeq 's guide. Did everything on Windows.

Powershell for ssh
TFTP server by SolarWinds (make sure to disable windows firewall totally until you are done if you want smooth experience)
bought the exact UART RS232 TTL CH340G adapter.

Installed OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc6, everything seems fine.

Very good tutorial @mikeeq thank you so much.

PS: I had no prior experience with all this. So if you want to have an OpenWrt router and are doubting yourself if you can do all this, you can, just read everything well. I bought 4 jumper cables (male-female) to connect USB dongle and used tapes to keep them in place.

I might have had the same problem, for me I was able to ping google but when I tried to open the sites it would make me wait like 5-10 seconds. I deleted wan interface, re-added it, enabled DHCP and checked the box "Ignore interface" in DHCP Server tab.

In Firewall Settings assigned the wan firewall zone.

Restarted router, it started working properly.

Hi Mehmet, you are my life saver. I reset my router to default then add new Interface for PPPoE and keep others as they are then enable DHCP for new interface and check ignore interface as you said. Now my internet work like a charm. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Nice to hear that!

ulpian