Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

Any Idea if the 2.4GHz radio is also WiFi 6 compliant? If it is shouldn't the wiki page read b/g/n/ax next to the 2.4GHz?

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 13-19-29 Xiaomi AX3200 _ Redmi AX6S

Wiki is correct. This device supports 802.11ax only on the 5.0GHz band. It does not support 802.11ax on the 2.4GHz band.

1 Like

It is not. The SoC wifi on the MT7622 is most similar to a single-band MT7615, running on the 2.4ghz band only.

So best you get is bgn. 256-QAM will most likely work too, but you'll need to pull in a couple patches for that to work. (Assuming that both ends even have support)

For 11ax on 2.4ghz + a chonkier CPU, you may want to keep an eye on MT7986, or a router with one of the DBDC 11ax radios. (Although I believe the DBDC version of the MT7915 is 2x2 on both bands, not 4x4?)

1 Like

Shame. Is there even any OpenWRT supported device that does WiFi6 on 2.4GHz? Other than the BananaPi (MT7986)?

ipq807x does support 802.11ax on 2.4 GHz, but support for that target is still pending.

The new Redmi AX6000 (take apart here) seems a quite good hardware for its price point (CPU MT7986A 4 cores@2GHz, 512MiB RAM, 128 MiB Flash, MT7976GN for 2.4GHz and MT7976AN for 5.0GHz) and it supports 802.11ax (4x4:4) on both bands.

However it is not yet supported by OpenWrt yet. There is already a topic about adding OpenWrt support to this device:

3 Likes

why is the need for AX on the 2.4Ghz? I personally never used 2.4GHz if I'm not forced to like now with Roborock S7 that only supports 2.4GHz, everything on 5GHz, I would personally not pay extra for that and for this silly money this router cost I'm very happy, bought three of them and gave one to my parents and one for backup or incase I need mesh in future but I don't think so as I already have unlimited 4G/5G dataplan so no need for WiFi in every corner. :slight_smile:

Indeed. Rather than looking for 802.11ax on the 2.4GHz band, I would prioritize a router with support to a 6GHz band ("WiFi 6E"). Now back to the topic.... :grin:

I just received AX6S from china to europe no taxes bought from

delivery about 14 days was able to install old firmware and enable telnet so far so good :slight_smile:

I wanted to say thank all u guys.

I needed to put a especific MAC addres in wan port to my internet to work. So, i need openwrt.
I have a old monster, wrt4300. Its all fine, but i wanted a new, more modern, device. So i decided to buy that AX6S.

I bought one when this topic has caught my attention.
Arrived for me a rb03 version with telnet disable. Made all the sugestion and got openwrt on that device.

Sooo, i put my MAC addres in wan port and i got a crazy situation.
My AX6S got internet, it able to update himself in sofware tab but none device conected to it got internet. I tried so many configuration that i lost conection to the device.

So, i reseted it pressing 10s the physical button.
Puted my mac addres again, the same way i did before and.... its all fine now! great velocity, great stability. Just a astonithing work of all u guys. Thanks again!!!

Two WiFi repeaters at home broke. Would you guys recommend this device for simple repeater/mesh duties (no routing or firewalling)?

1 Like

Hello there, i need some help here,
I've success flash the openwrt snapshot, but i can't access to 192.168.1.1 with any browser, i tried chrome, firefox, opera, edge, and even with different pc, i tried restart both pc and router, but still no luck!

i can ping 192.168.1.1 and is showing default gateway there with ipconfig command, also i can connect with ssh.
what is going on here????

I got RB03 here, and followed the step here https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3200

Maybe have something to do with LuCI?
how do i install that?
when i execute opkg update, it says i dont have internet connection, but im connecting to internet with wifi and lan to the router.
how to solve that? anyone please help me

thank you!

3 day after the same problema returned.

The router has internet. The tab diagnostics ping and tracerout give normal values.

All device conected to the router (cable or wifi) dont have internet.

Is that a bug?

Snapshot images do not have LuCI web interface packages pre-installed. You need to SSH into the router and manually setup your internet connection in the configuration files. This will be specific to your ISP/setup. Once connected, you can issue:

opkg update
opkg install luci

Alternatively configure the device as a DCHP client and connect via Ethernet to your existing router. This will provide the temporary internet to the device needed to install the packages.

The latest 22.03 release candidate version includes LuCI support without installing additional packages.

Further guidance is available in the wiki.

Thanks for the reply, so which port I should plug my cable into the ax3200? Wan port or lan port?

That depends on which method you are using. If you are setting up an internet connection directly on the AX6S you should connect the WAN port to your modem/ONT. If you are doing the DHCP method using your existing router for internet, connect the AX6S to your main router using a LAN port (don't forget to disable the DHCP server in the config files on the AX6S since your main router is now the DHCP server).

I recommend it to providing mesh network on 5 GHz.
I don't recommend it for mesh on 2.4 GHz: it destabilize the mesh network after joining. :woman_shrugging:

If your ISP device is acting as router, I recommend the following:

Add your WAN port to your br-lan device.

Delete any interfaces that use the WAN port.

Configure your LAN interface (br-Lan device) as DHCP client.

This way you can still use your WAN port and access your OpenWrt device from the network.

Also don't forget to disable the services you won't use, such as DHCP, DNS and firewall

service dnsmasq disable
service odhcpd disable
service firewall disable

2 Likes

Should Software flow offloading be enabled on this device ?

Yes. Even more: if you don't use/need SQM, you can enable Hardware Flow Offload for even better performance.

2 Likes