Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

I noticed today when I installed OpenWrt on third AX3200 I got Snapshot r19511, when I got home I checked for update on the one I use that ran r19304, but it told me I was on latest Snapshot, I then manually uploaded latest Snapshot and I got r19511 and now I checked for update and got r19519, anyone know why it would not update r19304 to r19511? I'm using the Attended Sysupgrade, thanks :slight_smile:

I have acquired an ax6s from China. Its firmware does not have telnet enabled, so I'm trying to install miwifi_rb03_firmware_stable_1.2.7_closedbeta.bin as the wiki says. The problem is, I have no clue how to do that. Everything's in Chinese, and I can't even get logged in to the device. I also can't get Google Translate to work because it can't access the web page (no shock.) Has anyone made a tutorial/video on what to click on to get to the firmware update page of an ax6s in Chinese, for those of us who don't read Chinese?

At first, I hadn't connected the device to an upstream internet connection, and it appeared to be displaying error pages indicating that it wanted internet connectivity. So, I gave it that and I now appear to be looking at a username/password page. I can't find a username/password combination to work on that page.

Any help?

Thank you.

If you have an Android-phone, you can just use the Google Translate app on your phone and point the camera at the text.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Using that tool, I was able to determine that the device was asking for me to set a password for the wifi. Once that was done, I was able to log back into it at 192.168.31.1 using that same password, and then fumble around the interface until I found the firmware upgrade option. It worked, and I've now gotten OpenWRT onto it.

Thanks.

This patch unlock the tx power.

1 Like

Thanks for the steps, managed to flash a BR01 model with telnet disabled(2021/11). I did this without opening the case, the serial terminals can be reached by 3 short pins from outside.

8 Likes

Guys. What am I doing wrong?

Terminal is spitting out random characters.

Yes I have set it to 115200 baud 8N1

Have I somehow fried the uart connection?

I’m using a TTL-232R-3V3 USB-TTL cable

It depends on what those wires are connected to. One thing you should never do is connect the 3.3V from the TTL-232R-3V3 USB-TTL to the 3.3V of the board. You're shorting power supplies and many bad things can happen.

1 Like

PA power limits are higher than CN.

country PA: DFS-FCC
	(2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (36)
	(5150 - 5250 @ 80), (36), AUTO-BW
	(5250 - 5350 @ 80), (30), AUTO-BW
	(5470 - 5725 @ 160), (30)
	(5725 - 5850 @ 80), (36)
	(57000 - 64000 @ 2160), (43)

Openwrt tx power is limited by hardware/driver at 27dBm. Do you know default tx power in dBm of stock firmware, Immortalwrt, mediatek drivers?

That’s what I did unfortunately. I connected all the pins according to what they are meant for. I guess I’m screwed.

1 Like

Disconnect the 3.3V-pin and try again. If it's still not working, it's time to get another TTL-adapter and try with that. There is a chance that you fried stuff on the router's end, though.

22.03.01-rc1 has been officially released. More information here.

The images for the AX6S/AX3200 are available here.

1 Like

I tried doing that (disconnecting 3.3v and GND) and now it spits out more gibberish than before, but at least now it seems to react when I press keys on my keyboard. Still gibberish output on the console though.

Is there any good way to find out if it's the cable or the router that I've fried?

Leave gnd connected...

Can we upgrade from snapshot 22.03?

I think the Snapshots are newer, I got Snapshot r19520 now...

There is no significant difference at this moment between 22.03.0-rc1 and the current 22.03 snaphots.

At this moment there are only 3 small changes that IMHO are not worth using the 22.03 snapshots:

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/openwrt-22.03

EDITED: however, using master snapshots there is a lot of new changes, including an updated wifi driver (mt76). It is up to each one to decide to stay with a stable release or using the a bleeding edge version (with all pros and cons):

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master

2 Likes

so when using the Attended Sysupgrade, does it download Snapshots or Master Snapshots?

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19520-089eb02abc / LuCI Master git-22.089.43958-7110635

Like @namidairo there said, leave GND connected. I only told you to disconnect 3V3, nothing else.

Also, yes, there are three good ways: an oscilloscope, a logic analyzer or a known-good USB-TTL adapter (or a device that can act as one). I assume you have none of those, so buying a known-good USB-TTL adapter is likely to be your best option. I, personally, like CP2104-based ones (like e.g. this one) -- never had any troubles with them.

1 Like

I'm not used to attended sysupgrade, but I understand per description below it does a custom build based on your selected packages:

> "This server listens for requests to build custom OpenWrt sysupgrade images. It starts an ImageBuilder process for the specified target, incorporates any requested packages, and returns that image to the requestor. (source)"

This same page does not explicitly lists 22.03.0-rc1 yet (just 22.03-snapshot). So I don't know it just the main page has not been updated yet or if in fact 22.03.0-rc1 still has to be added to sysupgrade server.

Sorry for not having answered your question.. :slight_smile:

1 Like