Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

Yes or if downloading on Luci go to System/Backup flash firmware & flash new firmware at the bottom of the list. Browse for you file and thats it. It will reboot for you into the file you have loaded.
Snapshot is the latest version you have uploaded. It is not recommended for a daily router as it may contain bugs. For a daily router choose the Stable version https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/mediatek/mt7622/ choose xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin version

1 Like

Thank you! but I can safely follow the one from mikeeq's github procedure, or do I need anything to jump to stable release? Thanks again for your response!

EDIT: Just bit the bullet and I am now in stable build! Thanks for your help guys, you rock!

Glad to hear it. There is no 100% safeway to upgrade & as you say you've just got to bite the bullet.
Now that you are using it, it is beneficial to occasionally update in System/Software. Update the list with the Actions button & check there for updates in the tab (Available/Installed/Updates)

1 Like

Will do that, thanks for your wisdom and guidance mate!

the way to be sure is check the dts of the firmware you are flashing

anyway this is an incredible openwrt router, i think the best one.

1 Like

Hi, I feel a bit stupid, could you elaborate on how to enabled telnet on the second device ?
I tried without switching ports and both combinations of WAN/LAN LAN/WAN and LAN/LAN but the second router seems stuck in netmode 0
thanks

Hi, first, you need to factory reset both devices. You need to start the process again by assuming the device to which the procedure will be applied as the first device, telnet enabled device as the second device.

After resetting the device to factory settings, power on both devices, skip the initial setup screen only in first device, after connecting the first device's lan port to the other device's wan port, it will become netmode 4 in five seconds.

After the all process is complete, factory reset both devices.
:+1:

thanks for the updated instructions. it looks like the device that has telnetd enabled does not respond to reset button anymore. any way of triggering the reset another way (the gui does not seem to work either)
thanks

so I seem to be stuck in factory_mode=1 , telnetd has no password , pressing reset only shows a message on the console "BUTTON:reset ACTION:pressed".
I can flash openwrt and it boots fine and the reset buttong works but as soon as I revert to stock firmware , the reset button is disabled again. Must be something weird in one of the auxilairy partitions.
any ideas ?
thanks

Interesting, I don't think this has anything to do with the telnet activation procedure applied. The procedure went smoothly for everyone. I agree with you, there is a possibility that it is related to a factory setting. Maybe someone else has an idea about the situation.

who knows if we can add a usb port, the only limit of this device, to use things like adguard?

1 Like

Hey, I got a repro and a fix :slight_smile:
with both my routers, after writing the crash partition and enabling telnet with your clever hack, my routers are in factory mode : no password needed for telnet and reset button does not do anything except showing a message on the console "BUTTON:reset ACTION:pressed".
without a way to use reset, I cannot but any other router in netmode 4

here is a fix:
deleting the crash partition from telnet with
`mtd erase crash
fixed it , I could then use the reset button to switch the other router to netmode 4, and perform the procedure.
I then needed the password calculated from the serial number to perform the upgrade this router.
Thanks again for the help, I hope my experience with help others as well if you want to include it in your instructions.

1 Like

hi there guys i just received today my device and flash with last openwrt all working good expect for 160mh channels my wifi max speed with 80mhz is only 1200mhz i want the full 2400mhz. is there any fix or patch?

Greetings,

I have installed openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s-squashfs-factory.bin to xiaomi ax3200. But only radio0 MediaTek MT7622 802.11bgn is listed. How can I add the 5g radio?

Thanks.

p.s.
sysupgrade bricks it.
my device only boots on recovery or factory images.

I have tried to edit etc/config/wireless, added these lines;

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path '1a143000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option band '5g'
        option cell_density '0'
        option htmode 'HE160'
        option txpower '27'
        option channel '64'
        option country 'PA'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option mode 'ap'
        option key '*'
        option network 'lan'
        option ssid '*'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option ieee80211r '1'
        option ft_over_ds '0'
        option ft_psk_generate_local '1'
        option mobility_domain 'ff26'

but luci shows it as Generic 802.11bg device and it is inactive.

dmesg output shows;

[    8.518514] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: HW/SW Version: 0x8a108a10, Build Time: 20211222184017a
[    8.518514]
[    8.676356] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: WM Firmware Version: ____000000, Build Time: 20211222184052
[    8.744303] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: WA Firmware Version: DEV_000000, Build Time: 20211222184111
[    8.859952] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: eeprom load fail, use default bin
[    8.866290] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/mt7915_eeprom.bin failed with error -2
[    8.875946] mt7915e 0000:01:00.0: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: mediatek/mt7915_eeprom.bin
[    8.891054] mt7915e: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -12

use sysupgrade.bin

sysupgrade bricks it.
my device only boots on recovery or factory images.

i don't have mt76 on the device so i can't check.

opkg update
opkg install kmod-mt7915e

Hi guys,

I've compiled 22.03.2 with the proprietary Mediatek drivers built-in. Here's a link to the firmware: openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-xiaomi_redmi-router-ax6s

2 Likes

Got the rb1 version with fw ver. 1.0.35 unlocked.
Flashed the latest openwrt version available. Unfortunately i face a strage issue with opnsense and ax3200@dumb access point. From any wifi client I can reach any device on lan side but the firewall itself, so internet is not available. Any wired station behind ax3200 doesn't have this issue.
I've setup the same way (dumb access point) an old tl-wr841n running openwrt 22.3 with no problems over wifi.
If I use NAT on the ax3200 (router mode) both wired and wireless clients work.
Also with factory firmware the ax3200 as AP works just fine!
What can it be?

Does mediatek driver support 802.11s mesh?