Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 1)

Do you see any limitations in using this router once it is supported by openwrt? Like VPN or SQM throughput because of slow cpu clocks or so?

Considering the massive cpu speed and the fact that we added support (not upstream but with custom build) for the additional nss core... Think when it will be supported it will be a beast

4 Likes

I was asking because afaik SQM will only run on a single core and that's only clocked at 1 or 1.2 ghz iirc.

Hello, Could someone tell what is the ethernet controller and Ethernet driver used in Xiaomi AX3600?

Yes.

And yet the power supply is still 12 volts and a mere 2 amps, only 24 watts!

Much lower power requirements (and much lower power consumption) compared to previous Qualcomm IPQ chipsets.

so can we expect the huge work done on nss cores for ipq806 to be useful also to get nss support for ipq807?
this would be amazing! also because of the wider possibilities of ipq807 nss cores
the RAX120 is still far too expensive, but maybe.. :slight_smile:

actually the work is already done... (wifi will still be problematic as nothing has changed in that part)
For everything else... well we already had done the bigger part... (supporting nss for ipq806x means that any soc that use nss is also supported)

1 Like

Yeah, NSS for IPQ807x should be a matter of correctly adding the targets into Makefiles so that relevant stuff is enabled and thats it.

I gave up on IPQ807x in OpenWrt until kernel 5.9 lands as it was just too much backporting all of the time.

2 Likes

Do you think kernel 5.9 is the next lts? If it is... it's a pity since i'm so close to push the remaining driver for ipq806x :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, I am pretty sure it will be.
It's always every 5 releases, so in line with previous LTS versions, 5.9 will be LTS.

I saw your upstreaming effort, its really good as a lot of stuff can be dropped in 5.9, and the remaining would be backported.

4 Likes

Is there a place where we can track progress and contribue?

1 Like

I was talking about pushing the patch in openwrt in the kernel upstream... So to check them you should check the kernel mailing list

4 Likes

Sorry to barge into this dev thread, but the Install guide thread appears to be auto-closed.

I purchased 2 ax3600'es and unfortunately I upgraded the first one to 1.0.67 too quickly, because the install guide does not work for that version (the check_rom_update command does return a sensible response though). I don't see a way to downgrade the FW either, so I'm kinda stuck at the moment with that one. I could crack open the box and get to the UART, but from reading this thread, that door seems to be shut as well.

I'll check the FW version on the other one shortly.

Edit: I'm an idiot. There was a manual update field right there. Took it for a grayed-out button. Flashing back to 1.0.17 as I type this.

2 Likes

hey there, if there is someone who has ssh access on any firmware could find the code behind this api call:
http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/;stok=/api/xqsystem/check_rom_update

thank you !

1 Like
{"needUpdate":0,"code":0,"status":{"status":0,"percent":0},"changeLog":"","version":"1.0.336"}

Do you know when we'll be able to build an image image for AX3600 with the snapshot Image Builder?

I don't think we'll see a lot of ipq807x specific development before openwrt-2020.xy branches off, as ipq807x will not be part of the next stable release, but at the same time requires quite invasive changes (hostapd, mac80211, …) to become viable - before even thinking about support for any specific device (the ax3600 is special in this regard, as the third 802.11ac 'IoT' radio (QCA9889) needs the PCIe bus to be initialized correctly, which still seems to remain problematic - and no GPL sources from Xiaomi).

Personally I'm rather tempted to buy this device as well (still kind of wary about hardware support for channels 52-64 and 100-149), respectively OpenWrt's regdom handling for ath11k (is it covered by ATH_USER_REGD?), although I'd very much prefer a device with 4+1 ethernet ports (instead of 3+1) and USB (better to have it, and not use it - than not having the option at all).

3 Likes

Why not go directly to kernel 5.9 and start from 2021?

Cheers.

Hello everyone. I have read all thread and I couldn't understand what is the situation with Xiaomi AX3600 right now? As far as I know currently OpenWRT is not supported yet, but you can get full ssh access. So is it possible to turn off all xiaomi china tracking stuff and etc and make ir secure and privacy friendly router or not?

who knows what backdoor contains that compiled bin

1 Like