Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 1)

Hi, I have a question: if the ax3600 can be updated with openwrt, can the Mesh feature still be used? thanks

Not yet, but maybe close?
See i.e. IPQ807x SoC Investigation / Status [WIP]
and Xiaomi AX3600 INT firmware

I'm curious, does the QCA9889 IoT WLAN card of the AX3600 support (non-concurrent) dual-band or does the phy only allow one of them?

(I assume it's mostly meant for 2.4 GHz operations, but the chipset would also support 5 GHz - depending on the phy and rf setup, just curious if the OEM firmware allows both (even though OpenWrt can't access it yet)).

1 Like

In marketing materials it was stated that "AIoT antenna is dualband"

2 Likes

Yes, you are correct and it works well.

Is OpnWRT at a functioning working stage on the Xiaomi AX3600 yet?

Has their been much success yet?

1 Like

Nothing new at the moment.

no, at the moment.

Do you see any limitations in using this router once it is supported by openwrt? Like VPN or SQM throughput because of slow cpu clocks or so?

Considering the massive cpu speed and the fact that we added support (not upstream but with custom build) for the additional nss core... Think when it will be supported it will be a beast

4 Likes

I was asking because afaik SQM will only run on a single core and that's only clocked at 1 or 1.2 ghz iirc.

Hello, Could someone tell what is the ethernet controller and Ethernet driver used in Xiaomi AX3600?

Yes.

And yet the power supply is still 12 volts and a mere 2 amps, only 24 watts!

Much lower power requirements (and much lower power consumption) compared to previous Qualcomm IPQ chipsets.

so can we expect the huge work done on nss cores for ipq806 to be useful also to get nss support for ipq807?
this would be amazing! also because of the wider possibilities of ipq807 nss cores
the RAX120 is still far too expensive, but maybe.. :slight_smile:

actually the work is already done... (wifi will still be problematic as nothing has changed in that part)
For everything else... well we already had done the bigger part... (supporting nss for ipq806x means that any soc that use nss is also supported)

1 Like

Yeah, NSS for IPQ807x should be a matter of correctly adding the targets into Makefiles so that relevant stuff is enabled and thats it.

I gave up on IPQ807x in OpenWrt until kernel 5.9 lands as it was just too much backporting all of the time.

2 Likes

Do you think kernel 5.9 is the next lts? If it is... it's a pity since i'm so close to push the remaining driver for ipq806x :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, I am pretty sure it will be.
It's always every 5 releases, so in line with previous LTS versions, 5.9 will be LTS.

I saw your upstreaming effort, its really good as a lot of stuff can be dropped in 5.9, and the remaining would be backported.

4 Likes

Is there a place where we can track progress and contribue?

1 Like

I was talking about pushing the patch in openwrt in the kernel upstream... So to check them you should check the kernel mailing list

4 Likes