Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 1)

Done https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/11839

Thanks, copied my reply

What are the detailed steps to update a Snapshot OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r21856-afcf1a4de4 / LuCI Master git-23.013.73089-9634086 to the latest available or future releases? Thanks in advance.

I am using the actual snapshot. Still have the following issue:
I want to use the AX 3600 als DHCP Client on the wan interface. I want to connect the WLAN for the family to this interface. LAN makes an other IP Net with guest WLAN. The AX 3600 gets an IP IV Adress on WAN form my Router. But I cannot connect WLAN to WAN. I do not get an IP IV Address (DHCP Server an AX 3600 is disabled, I use the DHCP Server form my Router) on my WIFI Clients. It seems that the inrterfaces stops if I try to connect a WLAN Client.
=> WLAN connected to WAN does not work

If I do not use WAN and give the LAN Interface a static IP form the HOME LAN and disable the DHCP in the AX 3600 (same thing as on WAN) it works: Seems taht there is some issu on WAN regarding the connction with WLAN.

I'm uncertain I understand the scenario but I think this isn't a topic specific to the AX3600.

Hints Scenario 1 (network isolated) If you want your guest LAN to get a different IP range you'd probably have to enable DHCP on the AX3600 and then IP forward on the WAN port as usual.

Scenario 2 ( network integrated)
Would you be comfortable with disabling the firewall on the WAN interface?

If the AX3600 is just an internal device, you might be, depending on your setup.

Should that be true, and it doesn't bother you that your AX3600 clients get addresses from the same IP range as your INTERNAL devices, simply disable the firewall on the WAN port and bridge it to the LAN ports.

Scenario 3 (network isolated and integrated)
A cooler way of doing it might be to use VLANs. I've recommended this Youtube video before but don't hesitate to do it again, OneMarcFifty's video on this is very good, skip to about 8min if you need no introduction to
VLANs
or how the old timers did it on OpenWRT 19

if you are connecting wlan clients to a wan interface that is a dhcp client ... your wlan clients need to know where is the dhcp server ...also wan is on a different firewall so your wlan interface needs to be on the same firewall as wan ...

maybe this is what you want a dump ap .. check the reply from @rossini** in a reply on Jan 19, '23

For me, network interface name and single partition changes happened many iterations ago - that is not the issue here.

Yes it is. When you switched to single partition ? If you as many others switched before 5. january you was on incompatible version. If anyone used dimfish build's with single part you were on incompatible version. If you used directly ansuel's commits you were on incompatible version also.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/adding-openwrt-support-for-xiaomi-ax3600/55049/9846

Another brick on the table here. I extended the partition from a early dec robi release with 0901 release and ended with an brick. The extention part worked nicely but the sysupgraded machine never woke up.
After tftp recovery, initramfs and sysupgrade everything ok.

This is another one, robi didn't have any enlarged partition build before january.

If you think about it most of these bricks happened because people were not reading about the changes and/or directly sysupgraded between "incompatible" versions or between builds from different people.

Mine sysupgrades today was 2x AX3600 (with 5.th jan builds) and 1x AX9000 running one of latest releases to latest snapshot without any brick.

1 Like

yes it's a migration problem but these thing are easy to debrick so it's really just a thing... in a month everyone will be happy and will follow normal procedure from wiki.

I only used self-built robimarko-pr and openwrt/master prior to switching to pre-built openwrt/master. Self-built was only for enabling basic extra packages and kmods - nothing else.

...but in any case, I agree with Ansuel. It hardly matters now and is easy to get out of the weeds using tftp. I bring it up mainly as a warning that a planned 5-minute update may turn into a 1-hour recovery/update: choose your timing!

Thanks to everybody for getting to this milestone.

3 Likes

Hi @dimfish
I'm sorry but just for clarity, what exactly do you mean by:

Due name incompatibiltity of mtd11 "ubi_kernel" don't upgrade via LUCI!

I self build and use robi's ipq807x-5.15-pr and -final which I believe are both in sync with what was merged (minus compat version commits).

My mtd looks like this strictly off of Robi's builds:

root@RM-AX3600:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "0:sbl1"
mtd1: 00100000 00020000 "0:mibib"
mtd2: 00300000 00020000 "0:qsee"
mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "0:devcfg"
mtd4: 00080000 00020000 "0:rpm"
mtd5: 00080000 00020000 "0:cdt"
mtd6: 00080000 00020000 "0:appsblenv"
mtd7: 00100000 00020000 "0:appsbl"
mtd8: 00080000 00020000 "0:art"
mtd9: 00080000 00020000 "bdata"
mtd10: 00100000 00020000 "pstore"
mtd11: 023c0000 00020000 "ubi_kernel"
mtd12: 0d240000 00020000 "rootfs"

Are you suggesting that ubi_kernel is incorrect name here as well? If so, something is off, because I've onliy used Robi's code, with last build / install being January 12th -final branch build (single partition, eth->lan completed, compat version back to 1).

If the ubi_kernel name is the issue, are your notes about upgrading to official from this point (after single partition and "lan" naming is already completed) to:

0. Create backup.
1. Upload openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi to /tmp.
2. Flash initramfs into mtd11 which is currentlyi named ubi_kernel:
ubiformat /dev/mtd11 -f /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi
reboot
3. Upload openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax3600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin to /tmp.
4. Flash via sysupgrade
sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax3600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
5. Reload backed up config

If you can please confirm it'd be really appreciated.

Could we at least pretend to be having a civilsed discussion?

While Robi, Ansuel & many others are solving the actual problems?

1 Like

Hadn't quite clicked that luci wasn't included by default in the main snapshots.
I has previously switched root's shell to bash and on each upgrade, reinstalled bash via luci.
No luci = no bash = no (working) ssh :man_facepalming: doh.

1 Like

Not cool, but SSH is there always? Right? If incorrect, pls let me know.

1799 RMB, about 249 $

Please read carefully first line of my post:

I've created build with extended partitions in October and name of mtd11 in my builds differs to official.

1 Like

You can override the default shell e.g.

ssh <device> /bin/ash

the WLAN and the WAN are in same firewall zone.

Same scenario, on the LAN interface works. Same Scenario on other devices with (regular) openwrt works too. if I open luci during the attemept to connect the wlan device, it seems that the intefaces are crashing

have you followed the wiki's instructions for a dump ap ?

I have and that works. If I connect the AX 3600 via WAN with my main router, it gets an IP Adress on this interface. LAN in OPENWRT has an other IP Subnet. If I connect WLAN to that Lan, that works. But I want to have another WLAN with the same IP Net that my main router has. And wo I want connect this WLAN to the WAN Interface (same FW Zone). WLAN Cleints do not get an IP Adress from the DHCP Server of my main Router. With other OPENWRT devices that works

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 2).