Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 1)

Instead of using the latest `...squashfs-factory.ubi, I used 928dceb then followed Edrikk's commands

The firmwares suggested in the text after this are NOT for system updates
I'm not pretending to be an expert, but if you want 928cdeb, you should go to THIS OUTDATED VERSION.

It's good, I use it, but go with the AT THIS TIME MOST CURRENT RELEASE if you want to be on the bleeding edge. I'm not recommending it (yet) not having used it myself (yet).

So far from what I've seen all previous releases have been excellent and for my purposes (dumb APs) perfect.

Wiki instructions have not been updated, use the ones from device commit

Your instructions are slighty wrong. When you put:

&& fw_setenv flag_boot_rootfs=1 && fw_setenv flag_last_success=1

must be:

&& fw_setenv flag_boot_rootfs 1 && fw_setenv flag_last_success 1

without the equal sign.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the git commits for this device?
Specifically

dd5d52aac7fa13ecbc691856943256f0adc187d0

Not trying to be actively obtuse, I'm just under informed :wink:

Yes, commits adding support for individual devices have install instructions.

Wiki needs to be updated, it would be great if somebody can do it

I'll try to integrate that info.

I would say it would be easy to edit/adapt the wiki text to the new instructions.
But there are some important differences in the new instructions, for example, the ubi file name is different, there is no more dual partition, after ubi flash we now need to flash sysupgrade...someone needs to review the wiki and write the new instructions.

Yes, they are exactly like this. Weird. I have other openwrt router working as access point as well, not problem with it and the fixed ip address. I'm having problems only with the ax3600.

Thanks for trying to help, anyway.

I will comply :wink:
Older posts deleted, because misleading.

1 Like

Maybe try to compare the network, dhcp files in /etc/config from the AP that works with the one that doesn't, to see if anything is different.

Not trying to be nitpicky here, but the current wiki instructions say
openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-squashfs-factory.ubi
the current file name in the repo is
openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-squashfs-factory.ubi
That's correct.
The file name from the commit seems to be different:
openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi
What am I missing?

Got it. The one with initramfs is also there, probably the one with the initramfs.

1 Like

I'm realizing this is probably over my head. If I can't tell which of the images would be correct to use under which circumstances for myself, I've no business telling others.

I apologize, somebody else is going to have to do that.

No prob., I can't edit the wiki either, let's wait for someone that is familiar with the process and is sure of what is being done.

*-initramfs-factory.ubi is the correct one if you are upgrading from OpenWrt, you flash this to other partition via ubiformat and boot from it (i.e. set the fw env params and reboot, at this point openwrt will run in ramdisk mode with default config), then you will run sysupgrade from *-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin.

This is what I did and it worked.

1 Like

I don't think that sysupgrade work in LuCI if you haven't flashed both partition with OpenWrt.

1 Like

I'm almost certain that it won't work, even if you've flashed both partitions. I have three of these devices, and had to take care of each one of them individually.

The good new is: Every backup I made worked flawlessly after I unpacked it locally, ran a one liner script over it to replace the old network device names, repacked it and redeployed it. Took some unplugging and re-plugging, for sure.

My understanding is that with this change there is only one partition.

1 Like

Why all this effort? Simply edit the file "live" in existing version and save it.
Take a config backup which will contain the updated 2.0 config.
Revert the change for the time being on the live system (in case not upgrading right now etc - just to be safe).