Adding OpenWrt support for Nokia Airscale AC400i

I might spend some time trying to get it working, but it's probably not worth the effort.
The OEM firmware had the SD card nodes disabled, so it was probably never meant to work.
Plus it's locked behind a hollow Torx security bit.

Yeah, the vendor dts is just a copy of the default dts in regards to the SD card portion.
I tried different settings but everything just errors out.
So, for now I'm giving up on the SD card reader.

awesome work ! Can someone provide images and how to boot initial?

That's fine, glad that the rest works.

Awesome, thanks for the progress made!

I built a current image yesterday at was looking at the declaration of &sdcc1 and &sdcc3 in the .dtsi and other devices, e.g. ipq8064-onhub.

Copying the pinmux for sdcc1 from that device resulted in a conflict with the NAND and the device not being initialized at all:

[    2.244467] ipq8064-pinctrl 800000.pinmux: pin GPIO_38 already requested by 1ac00000.nand-controller; cannot claim for 12400000.sdcc
[    2.244528] ipq8064-pinctrl 800000.pinmux: pin-38 (12400000.sdcc) status -22
[    2.256105] ipq8064-pinctrl 800000.pinmux: could not request pin 38 (GPIO_38) from group gpio38  on device 800000.pinmux
[    2.263054] mmci-pl18x 12400000.sdcc: Error applying setting, reverse things back

For the sdcc3 node there was an error about card voltage, but only if the card is present in the slot:

[    2.530132] mmci-pl18x 12180000.sdcc: no support for card's volts
[    2.532145] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising SD card

I tried inserting a dummy card / contacts covered and the message did not occur, so this is not something about the card detection switch or something, but somehow detected electrically.
/delete-property/ mmc-ddr-1_8v; did not make any difference about this.

When removing the pinmux settings from the &sdcc1 node, the same error occurs about the voltage:

[    5.052207] mmci-pl18x 12400000.sdcc: no support for card's volts
[    5.052258] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising SDIO card

The error for 12180000 again only occurs when the microsd is inserted, so these are independent.

Now I don't believe that there is an additional eMMC module on the device, but this seems to be about the pinmux. I guess all we are lacking at the moment are the pinmux settings to use with the &sdcc3, node, since there is no datasheet available for IPQ8065, we might look for other devices in the wild that have the node declared, and look which GPIOS are required for operation.

By the way, is 5 GHz scanning still working for everyone when using LuCI?

I thought the issue was just that I was connected via 5 GHz when scanning, but in another thread I found this (about a Mediatek device though):

Also I noticed the number of 2.4 GHz networks found is quite low compared to e.g. ath79 devices, but this might as well be due to antenna placement with the device lying on my desk (considering the metal case).

It still works in my build from 2 days ago and pretty good range on both.
But I did have to set a country to make the radios behave.

1 Like

I wrote a step by step here.
You can get my builds from here.
The initramfs is based on OpenWRT 22.03, to make it easier to install.
It also still uses LAN1 as a WAN port (again, to make installation way simpler).

The sysupgrade image is based on my master branch at the time of writing.
So, both ports are LAN.

1 Like

Any objections in me trying to PR this to OpenWrt?

I think when reviewing the PR, someone might have objections regarding the 1000BASE-T fixed-link, but they might as well have further suggestions on how to fix it. :innocent:
This thread on the other hand would hardly be found by the right people with deeper knowledge about the qca8k driver...
Just leave a short note in the commit message regarding Ethernet and microSD,
more info (e.g. ethernet error messages from kernel log) can be posted as a separate comment in the PR.

Not sure, if they would. A bunch of other devices also have it set (probably because of internal switches), but from what I can see, there really isn't a way around it, even in the OEM firmware it's broken.

This may explain why I could see no web interface with these, when using my ancient 100BASE-T USB Ethernet Adapter (the link is established successfully, but that just means talking to the PHY, not GMAC)...

So there might indeed be missing some wiring on the PCB if this never worked in OEM, similar to the microSD.

Just leave a short note about these in the PR, the rest should be fine :+1:

Now we wait.

1 Like

support have been added finaly! have someone done some further testing ?

I'm currently using the device.
It works about as well as I expected it to.
There are still some weird quirks, if you fiddle with the power for a bit too long,
but otherwise works very well.

What speed You have over 5GHz? 80 or 160MHz channel?

So, from what I tested around 300Mbps download, but if you use the NSS patchset you can probably get more.
Also 160Mhz doesn't work, but 80+80 should work.

to load image into ram is simple way

Transfer initramfs image to device
( nokia_ac400i-initramfs-fit-uImage.itb
Tested using TFTP and a FAT-formatted USB flash drive.
For USB run
usb start
fatload usb 0:1 0x44000000 nokia_ac400i-initramfs-fit-uImage.itb

after this type bootm and hit enter .

1 Like

"The QCA9984 also supports 160MHz and 80+80MHz channels to double capacity at close range" this is writen on qualcom support site, i'll check it when i get back home.

The chipset itself does support it, yes.
But the device is only rated for VHT80+80 (looking at the FCC data).
And yeah, you can select 160Mhz, but the radio stops working.

1 Like