Adding OpenWrt support for MikroTik cAP ac

I'm not sure what that means by certain devices. Perhaps https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4679 is needed for some models?

What he meant is that it will work for devices that are from the same batch, ofhers may have reduced wlan performance without dynamic BDF PR

Hi robimarko,

Many thanks for your efforts.

Can the openwrt page for CAP AC be updated to reflect this addition to master branch? Or almost finished?

If it's not yet in master, can you provide a link to a build, and installation instructions to get from stock please?

Cheers

I just did thr dynamic BDF, not the entire cAP ac support

@alaraun are you responsible for updating the support page? If your PR is now merged, and robimarko PR is also merged, then we're good to go?

Helo everyone,

Came here to get 802.11r running on my MT devices.
I just tested the latest snapshot as of July 15th with a cap-ac and hap-ac3.
Well, with a 1Gbps Internet downlink, an a client connected via LAN, I can only get 345Mbps (both, cap-ac and hap-ac3).
When setting the device in dump-AP mode, adding eth1 and eth2 to the bridge, I get 590Mbps on the cap- ac and 745Mbps on the hap-ac3.

Wifi performance is at best at bit above standard MT wifi drivers, while wifiwave2 in ROSv7 on the hap-ac3 delivers up to twice the performance (280Mbps vs. 590+Mbps on 5Ghz band)

Am I doing something wrong or is this as good as it gets?

Hello VanillaFord,

could you please summarize your results?

2.4 GHz (20 MHz)

• cAP ac with RouterOS 6.x / 7.x: ?
  • cAP ac with OpenWrt 22.03 snapshot: ?
  • hAP ac3 with RouterOS 6.x / 7.x: ?
  • hAP ac3 with OpenWrt 22.03 snapshot: ?
  • hAP ac3 with MikroTikĀ“s wifiwave2 package: ?

5 GHz (80 MHz)

• cAP ac with RouterOS 6.x / 7.x: ?
  • cAP ac with OpenWrt 22.03 snapshot: ?
  • hAP ac3 with RouterOS 6.x / 7.x: ?
  • hAP ac3 with OpenWrt 22.03 snapshot: ?
  • hAP ac3 with MikroTikĀ“s wifiwave2 package: ?

...first I want to know why even LAN/WAN traffik can not saturate the 1Gbps Link, which both devices can on ROSv6 and v7 just fine.
Without that, using openWRT on these MT devices is pretty useless and WiFi performance will see a side effect from that, I am sure.

So, did I do something wrong? Is there a package, that installs as a dump AP right away, to rule out a possible user error?

as a teaser, this I did a while back, with my Samsung S20FE phone:

...openWRT 22.03 snapshot only gave me 280Mbps :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like