Adding OpenWrt support for Archer A6 v3

That's common for TP-Link. Their images often include bootloaders etc., so you cannot just flash OEM images from within OpenWrt. Unless there's instructions for your model on how to revert and those broke yours, of course... Then there's something else at play.

You would need to strip the OEM firmware of the bootloader before you would be able to flash it through the openwrt upgrade page. There used to be a website that stored stripped TP-link OEM firmwares for just that purpose, but it no longer is around. There are generic instructions floating around on how to do it though.

2 Likes

Hot off the presses, looks like 21.02.0 rc3 now supports Archer A6 V3!

2 Likes

Is A6 V3 also suffering from 5GHz disconnections with more than 1 STA connected, as is happening to C6 V3 (reported here: https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/issues/518 ) ?

I had disconnecting problems with 5ghz when I tested the original PR a few months ago. I had the same symptoms which they encountered ( processes getting killed due to running out of memory and 5 ghz wireless droping after a while). I had switched all my clients to the 2.4 ghz band to get around it. I had thought it had been fixed with the RC releases, but I realize now that I only have one 5 ghz client connecting at the moment so I haven't encountered the probelm. I never got around to switching the clients back. The A6 and the C6 v3 are the same hardware if I recall.

Might be this issue at play:

As previously mentioned by @frankis, I can confirm the 5Ghz radio is unstable (tested with Archer C6 v3.2, same hardware as A6 v3).

If two devices make intensive use of Wifi, the 5GHz WLAN simply dies. OpenWRT shows radio as active, but the SSID stops broadcasting and clients loose connection.

Restarting the radio does not help. Only a reboot solves the problem.

The issue can be easily reproduced with two WLAN clients running IPERF3 to two different servers at the same time. Country Code was not changed and set to "driver default", this does not solve the problem.

Regular web browsing does not cause problems. Only intense use of Wifi by two clients cause the problem to appear.

Issue tested and reproduced on SNAPSHOT r17419-364bd887a1.

EDIT: I failed to mention I tested with "IPERF3 -R -P4" in both clients. If I reduce the number of parallel streams to "P3" or less the problem does not happen. But if I run both clients with "-R -P4" simultaneously the OpenWRT 5Ghz radio almost immediately dies and only a reboot restores it.

1 Like

Glad it's not just me.

Allow me to quote myself...

Yep, I've saw that issue report from your post. This issue seems related to a memory leak, and while @ptpt52 provided a patch the issue is still open. It is not clear if the patch is a fix or a temporary workaround. Also I believe it it was not committed yet (since we are running a snapshot built from master and the issue still exists).

I will add my question an report to that issue and check for further progress.

Thanks! :+1:

ptpt52 said himself it's a hack (it just empties the buffers/queues forcibly), and that the code is not patch/merge quality.

I do plan to provide 21.02 stable builds for the mt76 drivers once it goes 'gold'.

1 Like

It is not just you. I've also had a lot of stability issues with the A6 v3 radios. At one point I tried disabling 5G entirely, but even the 2.4G radio would hang daily with ~20 clients and moderate use. Swapping out the hardware did not improve anything.

Interestingly, I've not experienced full hangs like this with the EAP235-Wall, though I hesitate to call it "stable" as individual clients tend to hang sometimes and need to reconnect. I haven't looked into it yet; those units are still running a snapshot from June.

Since I can easily replicate the problem, is there a place I can look for any error?

I am checking logread and dmesg, and no error is shown when the radio stops. I've also tried to increase hostapd log level to "debug" and still no error is shown. The radio just stops, and I have to reboot the router to restore it. But the issue only happens when two or more wifi clients are transferring lots of data simultaneously.

BTW, another issue (minor for me). I noticed that if I change SSID without rebooting, for some reason the clients can see and initially connect to the new SSID, but they are unable to communicate. A reboot is also needed to solve this problem.

To me it all seems related to the Wifi driver. I understand from @Borromini 's comment above that we should get mt76 "gold" drivers at some point in time. Hopefully this would help with these issues.

I was referring to 21.02 getting its release, at which point I intend to offer mt76 packages with the hack included.

1 Like

I got a c6 v3.2 and with this bug, mesh is useless. However, I am able to use my clients without too many problems with this snapshot: r17245-ac4e8aa2f8 ... and I programmed a daily auto-reboot at 4AM which seems to make it last for almost a day without issues. I am using that router with sometimes around 6 5GHz clients on a link ~200Mbps.
I have another router that has connectivity issues and built this crappy python script executed on it via a cronjob every 2 minutes:

import os
import datetime
import subprocess

MAX_LATENCY = 10
PING_COUNT = 3
SERVER_IP = '192.168.10.1'
RESTART_CMD = 'killall -HUP wpa_supplicant && sleep 5 && wifi up'

def ping(server='example.com', count=1, wait_sec=1):
    """

:rtype: dict or None
    """
    cmd = "ping -c {} -W {} {}".format(count, wait_sec, server).split(' ')
    try:
        output = subprocess.check_output(cmd).decode().strip()
        lines = output.split("\n")
        loss = lines[-2].split(',')[2].split()[0]
        timing = lines[-1].split()[3].split('/')
        return {
            'type': 'rtt',
            'min': timing[0],
            'avg': timing[1],
            'max': timing[2],
            'loss': loss,
        }
    except Exception as e:
        print(e)
        return None

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print(datetime.datetime.now(), 'connection check')
    ping_result = ping(server=SERVER_IP, count=PING_COUNT)
    if not (ping_result and float(ping_result['avg']) < MAX_LATENCY):
        print(f'ping average is worse than {MAX_LATENCY} ({ping_result})')
        os.system(RESTART_CMD)
    else:
        print(f'connection stable: {ping_result} ')
root@openwrt-c6v2:~#

A watchdog :slightly_smiling_face:

I am fine building my own firmware. Is the patch I need to apply this one? If so, is there an example Makefile for the corresponding package you can share with me so I ca build it?

Nope. This is a ready made patch that you can apply to your OpenWrt git tree. Then recompile the mt76 package.

@Borromini - I patched the latest HEAD but got build errors. Any thoughts?

build log
% make -j1 V=s package/kernel/mt76/compile
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
make[1]: Entering directory '/scratch/union'
cd "/scratch/union"; git log --format=%h -1 toolchain > /scratch/union/tmp/.ver_check
cmp -s /scratch/union/tmp/.ver_check /scratch/union/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl/stamp/.ver_check || { \
	rm -rf /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl /scratch/union/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl /scratch/union/build_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl; \
	mkdir -p /scratch/union/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl/stamp; \
	mv /scratch/union/tmp/.ver_check /scratch/union/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl/stamp/.ver_check; \
}
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/toolchain'
echo "libc" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/toolchain.default.install
echo "libgcc" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/toolchain.default.install
echo "libpthread" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/toolchain.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/toolchain'
time: package/libs/toolchain/compile#0.09#0.01#0.09
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/linux-firmware'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'compile'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/linux-firmware'
time: package/firmware/linux-firmware/compile#0.08#0.02#0.09
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/prism54-firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/prism54-firmware'
time: package/firmware/prism54-firmware/compile#0.10#0.02#0.12
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/linux'
echo "kernel" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-aead" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-ccm" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-cmac" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-ctr" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-gcm" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-gf128" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-ghash" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-hash" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-hmac" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-manager" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-null" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-rng" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-seqiv" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-crypto-sha256" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-hwmon-core" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-leds-gpio" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-lib-crc-ccitt" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-reject" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-reject6" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-ipt" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-ipt6" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ipt-core" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-conntrack" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-conntrack6" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-nat" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-nf-flow" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ipt-conntrack" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ipt-offload" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ipt-nat" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ip6tables" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-slhc" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-ppp" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-pppox" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
echo "kmod-pppoe" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/linux.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/linux'
time: package/kernel/linux/compile#0.92#0.03#0.95
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/b43legacy-firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/b43legacy-firmware'
time: package/firmware/b43legacy-firmware/compile#0.06#0.01#0.07
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/wireless-regdb'
mkdir -p /scratch/union/dl
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.wireless-regdb-2021.04.21.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "wireless-regdb-2021.04.21.tar.xz" "9e4c02b2a9710df4dbdb327c39612e8cbbae6495987afeddaebab28c1ea3d8fa" "" "@KERNEL/software/network/wireless-regdb/"    '
echo "wireless-regdb" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/wireless-regdb.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/firmware/wireless-regdb'
time: package/firmware/wireless-regdb/compile#0.09#0.01#0.10
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/openssl'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.openssl-1.1.1l.tar.gz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "openssl-1.1.1l.tar.gz" "0b7a3e5e59c34827fe0c3a74b7ec8baef302b98fa80088d7f9153aa16fa76bd1" "" "http://www.openssl.org/source/" "http://www.openssl.org/source/old/1.1.1/" "http://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/openssl/source/" "http://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/openssl/source/old/1.1.1/" "ftp://ftp.pca.dfn.de/pub/tools/net/openssl/source/" "ftp://ftp.pca.dfn.de/pub/tools/net/openssl/source/old/1.1.1/"    '
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/openssl'
time: package/libs/openssl/compile#0.11#0.03#0.13
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/gettext'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/gettext'
time: package/libs/gettext/compile#0.13#0.02#0.14
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libiconv'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libiconv'
time: package/libs/libiconv/compile#0.14#0.01#0.14
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libtool'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.libtool-2.4.6.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "libtool-2.4.6.tar.xz" "7c87a8c2c8c0fc9cd5019e402bed4292462d00a718a7cd5f11218153bf28b26f" "" "@GNU/libtool"    '
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libtool'
time: package/libs/libtool/compile#0.11#0.02#0.13
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/wolfssl'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.wolfssl-4.7.0-stable.tar.gz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "wolfssl-4.7.0-stable.tar.gz" "b0e740b31d4d877d540ad50cc539a8873fc41af02bd3091c4357b403f7106e31" "" "https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/archive/v4.7.0-stable"    '
echo "libwolfssl" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/wolfssl.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/wolfssl'
time: package/libs/wolfssl/compile#0.12#0.02#0.13
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libjson-c'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.json-c-0.15-nodoc.tar.gz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "json-c-0.15-nodoc.tar.gz" "99bca4f944b8ced8ae0bbc6310d6a3528ca715e69541793a1ef51f8c5b4b0878" "" "https://s3.amazonaws.com/json-c_releases/releases/"    '
echo "libjson-c" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libjson-c.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libjson-c'
time: package/libs/libjson-c/compile#0.10#0.02#0.11
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/utils/lua'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.lua-5.1.5.tar.gz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "lua-5.1.5.tar.gz" "2640fc56a795f29d28ef15e13c34a47e223960b0240e8cb0a82d9b0738695333" "" "http://www.lua.org/ftp/" "http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/ftp/"    '
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/utils/lua'
time: package/utils/lua/compile#0.11#0.02#0.12
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libubox'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b.tar.xz" "1cdb91ac0ee925f133ee9f70eac131a99def312fe7cf0aed44df84eb1762e30b" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b && [ \! -d libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b ] && git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/project/libubox.git libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b && (cd libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b && git checkout d716ac4bc4236031d4c3cc1ed362b502e20e3787 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf libubox-2021-08-19-d716ac4b;  )    '
echo "libubox" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libubox.default.install
echo "libblobmsg-json" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libubox.default.install
echo "jshn" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libubox.default.install
echo "libjson-script" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libubox.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libubox'
time: package/libs/libubox/compile#0.11#0.02#0.12
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/system/ubus'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8.tar.xz" "a5c8205f2e2b2f1f9ad687592e66a6e2bf8900dc54cfe3ceefe6c297d18971a8" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 && [ \! -d ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 ] && git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/project/ubus.git ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 && (cd ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 && git checkout 4fc532c8a55ba8217ad67d7fd47c5eb9a8aba044 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8 | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf ubus-2021-06-30-4fc532c8;  )    '
echo "libubus" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/ubus.default.install
echo "ubus" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/ubus.default.install
echo "ubusd" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/ubus.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/system/ubus'
time: package/system/ubus/compile#0.10#0.01#0.11
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libnl-tiny'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f.tar.xz" "99bcce12701bb34dadb39689d95c2c5cf1e27719d0ecfd645d3957a8947025ac" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f && [ \! -d libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f ] && git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/project/libnl-tiny.git libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f && (cd libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f && git checkout c291088f631d1694f7ba0444b59677b194348da8 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf libnl-tiny-2020-08-05-c291088f;  )    '
echo "libnl-tiny" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/libnl-tiny.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/libnl-tiny'
time: package/libs/libnl-tiny/compile#0.09#0.02#0.10
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/network/services/hostapd'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b.tar.xz" "cb3cb968883042fc582752be1607586696c18e6ecf9808c9a8ac50e204584367" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b && [ \! -d hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b ] && git clone  http://w1.fi/hostap.git hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b && (cd hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b && git checkout b102f19bcc53c7f7db3951424d4d46709b4f1986 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf hostapd-2021-05-22-b102f19b;  )    '
echo "wpad-basic-wolfssl" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/hostapd.wpad-basic-wolfssl.install
echo "hostapd-common" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/hostapd.wpad-basic-wolfssl.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/network/services/hostapd'
time: package/network/services/hostapd/wpad-basic-wolfssl/compile#0.19#0.05#0.23
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/system/uci'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117.tar.xz" "9d00b5056a0dd4094c7e19f1a0ecaffa90409f22ea28f164d0e36febd06e37d1" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 && [ \! -d uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 ] && git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/project/uci.git uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 && (cd uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 && git checkout 4b3db1179747b6a6779029407984bacef851325c && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117 | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf uci-2021-04-14-4b3db117;  )    '
echo "libuci" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/uci.default.install
echo "uci" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/uci.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/system/uci'
time: package/system/uci/compile#0.10#0.01#0.10
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/network/utils/iwinfo'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d.tar.xz" "7b4f745c2cace836e57bd116399973d9ac32cee7f98d4628a17395caa3d0cebc" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d && [ \! -d libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d ] && git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/project/iwinfo.git libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d && (cd libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d && git checkout a0a0e02dd91d14a50155390d5fd3b95d6ec87bf4 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf libiwinfo-2021-07-11-a0a0e02d;  )    '
echo "libiwinfo" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/iwinfo.default.install
echo "libiwinfo-data" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/iwinfo.default.install
echo "iwinfo" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/iwinfo.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/network/utils/iwinfo'
time: package/network/utils/iwinfo/compile#0.09#0.02#0.10
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/network/utils/iw'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.iw-5.9-8fab0c9e.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "iw-5.9-8fab0c9e.tar.xz" "797b322bc03952f3127ae0a7da476c14ada1bbe9a9ae234a56dd6f864c568e16" "" || (  	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf iw-5.9-8fab0c9e && [ \! -d iw-5.9-8fab0c9e ] && git clone  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jberg/iw.git iw-5.9-8fab0c9e && (cd iw-5.9-8fab0c9e && git checkout 8fab0c9ee9db217587a58efcc37421c86edcb638 && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd iw-5.9-8fab0c9e && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf iw-5.9-8fab0c9e/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c iw-5.9-8fab0c9e | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/iw-5.9-8fab0c9e.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/iw-5.9-8fab0c9e.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf iw-5.9-8fab0c9e;  )    '
echo "iw" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/iw.tiny.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/network/utils/iw'
time: package/network/utils/iw/tiny/compile#0.11#0.02#0.13
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/mac80211'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.backports-5.10.42-1.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "backports-5.10.42-1.tar.xz" "6876520105240844fdb32d1dcdf2bfdea291a37a96f16c892fda3776ba714fcb" "" "@KERNEL/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/v5.10.42/"    '
echo "kmod-cfg80211" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/mac80211.default.install
echo "kmod-mac80211" >> /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/pkginfo/mac80211.default.install
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/mac80211'
time: package/kernel/mac80211/compile#0.21#0.06#0.25
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/mt76'
SHELL= flock /scratch/union/tmp/.mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d.tar.xz.flock -c '  	/scratch/union/scripts/download.pl "/scratch/union/dl" "mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d.tar.xz" "17cd74e72c1f6c8742b698bf6772afacc6fba71b233af8c4d59530600cf44d5b" "" || (  /scratch/union/scripts/dl_github_archive.py --dl-dir="/scratch/union/dl" --url="https://github.com/openwrt/mt76" --version="bbebea7d6dc64313132226adc3f7369d36e9359d" --subdir="mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d" --source="mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d.tar.xz" --hash="17cd74e72c1f6c8742b698bf6772afacc6fba71b233af8c4d59530600cf44d5b" || ( 	echo "Checking out files from the git repository..."; mkdir -p /scratch/union/tmp/dl && cd /scratch/union/tmp/dl && rm -rf mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d && [ \! -d mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d ] && git clone  https://github.com/openwrt/mt76 mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d && (cd mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d && git checkout bbebea7d6dc64313132226adc3f7369d36e9359d && git submodule update --init --recursive) && echo "Packing checkout..." && export TAR_TIMESTAMP=`cd mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d && git log -1 --format='\''@%ct'\''` && rm -rf mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/.git && 	tar --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 --mode=a-s --sort=name ${TAR_TIMESTAMP:+--mtime="$TAR_TIMESTAMP"} -c mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d | 	xz -zc -7e > /scratch/union/tmp/dl/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d.tar.xz && mv /scratch/union/tmp/dl/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d.tar.xz /scratch/union/dl/ && rm -rf mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d; );  )    '
rm -f /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/.built
touch /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/.built_check
make  -C "/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/linux-5.4.143" KCFLAGS="-fmacro-prefix-map=/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl=target-mipsel_24kc_musl" HOSTCFLAGS="-O2 -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/hostpkg/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/host/include -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes" CROSS_COMPILE="mipsel-openwrt-linux-musl-" ARCH="mips" KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no KBUILD_BUILD_USER="" KBUILD_BUILD_HOST="" KBUILD_BUILD_TIMESTAMP="Sun Sep  5 09:25:35 2021" KBUILD_BUILD_VERSION="0" HOST_LOADLIBES="-L/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/lib" KBUILD_HOSTLDLIBS="-L/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/lib" CONFIG_SHELL="bash" V=''  cmd_syscalls= KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS="/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/symvers/gpio-button-hotplug.symvers /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/symvers/mac80211.symvers" KERNELRELEASE=5.4.143 CONFIG_MT7603E=m CONFIG_MT76_CONNAC_LIB=m CONFIG_MT7615_COMMON=m CONFIG_MT7615E=m M="/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d" NOSTDINC_FLAGS="-nostdinc  -isystem /scratch/union/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kc_gcc-10.3.0_musl/lib/gcc/mipsel-openwrt-linux-musl/10.3.0/include -I/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/usr/include/mac80211-backport/uapi -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/usr/include/mac80211-backport -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/usr/include/mac80211/uapi -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/usr/include/mac80211 -include backport/autoconf.h -include backport/backport.h -DCONFIG_MAC80211_MESH" modules
make[3]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/linux-5.4.143'
  CC [M]  /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.o
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1160:1: error: conflicting types for '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta'
 1160 | __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(struct mt76_phy *phy, struct ieee80211_vif *vif,
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:710:1: note: previous declaration of '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta' was here
  710 | __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(struct mt76_phy *phy, struct ieee80211_vif *vif,
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c: In function 'mt7615_mcu_add_sta':
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1184:3: error: too few arguments to function '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta'
 1184 |   __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(phy->mt76, vif, sta, enable, MCU_EXT_CMD_STA_REC_UPDATE);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1160:1: note: declared here
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1185:3: error: too few arguments to function '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta'
 1185 |   __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(phy->mt76, vif, NULL, false, MCU_EXT_CMD_STA_REC_UPDATE);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1160:1: note: declared here
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:1186:3: error: too few arguments to function '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta'
 1186 |   __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(phy->mt76, vif, NULL, true, MCU_EXT_CMD_STA_REC_UPDATE);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c: At top level:
/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.c:710:1: warning: '__mt7615_mcu_add_sta' used but never defined
  710 | __mt7615_mcu_add_sta(struct mt76_phy *phy, struct ieee80211_vif *vif,
      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[5]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:262: /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615/mcu.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:497: /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/mt7615] Error 2
make[3]: *** [Makefile:1734: /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/linux-5.4.143'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:427: /scratch/union/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/mt76-2021-07-15-bbebea7d/.built] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/kernel/mt76'
time: package/kernel/mt76/compile#0.80#0.20#0.93
    ERROR: package/kernel/mt76 failed to build.
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:116: package/kernel/mt76/compile] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union'
make: *** [/scratch/union/include/toplevel.mk:230: package/kernel/mt76/compile] Error 2

@darksky Is that on master? Mt76 might have seen changes that break the patch. Might be better to ping ptpt52 in the bug report he opened, see his post with the hack.