Adding new spi-nand device support (Belkin RT3200 and Linksys E8450)

Patching forward seems smarter than backporting

2 Likes

rt3200 not available to 21.02, why ? i'm so sad :frowning:

2 Likes

openwrt-2021.02 branched off master at 2021-02-16, support for the E8450/ RT3200 was merged to master 2021-02-28 and is still evolving.

Given the invasive nature of the patches necessary to support it, also touching other mt7622 based devices and refactoring their support code quite considerably, this would normally not be a candidate for backporting. Considering that this device is pretty popular among OpenWrt developers, there might be efforts spent of this nevertheless, but it's not really advisable.

3 Likes

I would be so happy if it was supported at 21.02 this is one of the best routers on the market today for openWRT

if I can help to make it compatible it is with pleasure, but I have no knowledge at the moment in terms of development

1 Like

There will always be a release after 2021.02.x, the cut-off just needs to be somewhere.

--
Disclaimer: I'm not an OpenWrt developer and can't speak for their intentions, the above is merely my own interpretation. I would very clearly not recommend trying to backport support for this device at this point. Even master doesn't have full support for it yet, iwinfo support for 802.11ax has just been posted to the mailing list yesterday, hostapd will need an update as well, such as luci and many other things. u-boot and basic mt7622 image building support have seen considerable changes this very week. Sorry, but this is IMHO way to invasive at this point in the release process for 2021.02, give it the time it needs to mature and get completed in master and get it into proper shape for the next release.

3 Likes

Has anybody the link for the 21.02 tree supporting the RT3200?

2 Likes

Yes i'm interested too :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, this may be off topic but I was looking for some help. I managed to flash the installer and then upgrade Branch from the GitHub, however it doesn't seem that I can start a 5 GHz radio using the m 79 chip. Next to radio1 interface it shows MediaTek MT7915E 802.11acn Device is not active*. The 2.4 GHz is able to work fine and generate a ssid. The funny thing is that I can successfully scan and survey the 5 GHz networks in my area. Has anyone been able to get the 5 GHz to work?

Yes, using it every day (with a bunch of of ac and ax clients) and I guess most people in this thread do so as well. Feel free to share system logs as well as content of /etc/config/wireless (remove credentials before!) via PM, so I can see how I could help you.

2 Likes

The guest network scripts on the OpenWRT site are often contradictory with each other. Main issue being firewall rules. I have tried and added to the firewall rules but still some IoT devices on the guest network don't work. Does anyone have good Firewall rules for a) guest network and b) using SSH over a WIFI LAN connection? Could you post?

Also, I have noticed an unresponsive GUI after running for a while. Has anyone else noticed that and what is the solution?

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option channel '11'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'platform/18000000.wmac'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'ASUS'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'xxxx'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path '1a143000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
	option cell_density '0'
	option channel '56'
	option htmode 'HT40'

config wifi-iface 'wifinet1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'OpenWrt'
	option encryption 'none'
	option network 'lan'

Thanks daniel, this is my config/wireless file

Try setting

option country 'XX'

where XX is the ISO 3116-2 alpha 2 country code of the jurisdiction of the location of the device.
Otherwise most channels in 5 GHz are unavailable as there are not many channels available in that frequency band allows by all countries around the world.

3 Likes

Thank you for the help. I realized I forgot to uncheck the retain configuration button on the firmware upgrade prompt. Buy unchecking that button it seems to have fixed the issue and now I can get the 5 GHz radio working appropriately. Looking forward to using this on my home network, thanks guys.

1 Like

I am going to install openwrt via the installer for UBI, but first I would like to get a backup of the device flash to be able to restore in an emergency.

How can I make it?

@daniel
Will you be (semi-)regularly updating the ready-compiled installer images at your Github site?
Just thinking about the recent config changes regarding device/ifname and wifi settings...

I just got an RT3200, and before flashing it, I am considering if your early-May installer image release 0.5 is still good enough, or if I should compile an updated one by myself.

(Too bad that the installer generation script does not support the full toolchain, and is not yet included in the OpenWrt repo. Until now I have never use the imagebuilder during the 10+ years with OpenWrt... )

I have updated the installer.

Running the installer script locally should be easy, it uses the snapshot image builder and doesn't require much from the host.

1 Like

Thanks.
I used your build script a few weeks ago, built an updated image myself, and it worked ok.

Now I am just wondering if there is any real reason to upgrade the recovery image every now and then, or should it just be left alone. If the man purpose is to just allow sysupgrading the normal image, it doesn't matter much if the recovery image is somewhat outdated (and e.g. uses network config deviating slightly from the up-to-date master).

What would be the correct process of upgrading it? Just thinking about the years ahead...

1 Like

hello everyone I don't really understand why an update of the installer, since after we update via snapshot, can you enlighten me daniel please about this update or I can continue to use the router in updating the sysupgrade.ubi.itb thanks in advance

The "recovery image" is installed only by this installer, which is separate from the actual main OpenWrt image being normally run. The later sysupgrades only update the normal main image, but do not touch the recovery image. You can continue sysupgrading normally.

Daniel has now updated the installer image to contain a more recent OpenWrt version in the recovery image than was included in the previous installer version.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel.
Needed recovery and flashed recovery v0.5.1 with installer while I was at it.
Noticed now /dev/ubi0_5 is mounted on /rom/overlay previously on /overlay.
Is their any particular reason for this.
Albeit I quite struggle without a good UBI/U-boot overview.

1 Like