This is phase (3) for the series for how to add new device support to Openwrt. there is already a good link to prepare the environment here and here, but I think they lacks the explanation of about how to choose a specific toolchain and why Buildroot system is used.
Here is my view on Environment preparation:
- Know the important terminologies (e.g. Toolchain definition, why toolchain is used, naming conventions, abbreviations, etc.)
- Explanation of each item you will use in your environment and why
- Available libraries and which one to choose, and why
- Toolchain Options
- Obtaining a Toolchain
- Getting and configuring pre-compiled toolchain (in which situations and why)
- How build a custom cross-compilation toolchain (in which situations and why)
any comments are welcome and appreciated, please share your experience.
Thank you in advance.