Adding EA8100 V2 offering to help

Hello devs,

I ended up getting an EA8100 V2 (no option to choose the version).
There is very little info on V2, but what I found was that hardware seems to be the same as V1.
Since v1 is supported, v2 has a snapshot for it and v2 is pretty much the only one still available, it would be nice to get v2 in one of the next builds.
Since I have it, I would like to help as much as I can. To preserve the warranty, I don’t want to solder any serial header to it, but if telnet or ssh work, I can try a bunch of things if anyone needs any info from it.
I am familiar with Linux, but not an expert, in case anyone assigns some expert task to me.

Is there anything I can help with?
Thank you.

seems v2 support was added mid last year

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=0c721434ea56044cdc1c13554c970b82471bc43e

Thank you very much, frollic.
The ToH still shows it as snapshot and there is no build for it in the repository.
From the link you provided, I think you are suggesting to download and build it, right?

Thank you.

use the git link for info on how to flash.

Hi, I too got the V2 as there was no option to select.
were you able to build it. if so can you help me with it ?

1 Like

The firmware is already built as a snapshot. Use the "Firmware OpenWrt Snapshot Install" link on the page that @frollic linked.

Since it is snapshot firmware, there will be no web interface at first, you'll need to ssh to access the router and install LuCI.

Note that if you flash this, and it reboots back to stock firmware, you need to flip the alternate boot system from B to A as described in the git commit. To do that, download a stock firmware from the Linksys site and flash it, then flash OpenWrt again.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the quick response. I flashed the snapshot and also installed Luci successfully after doing some googling.

I was just wondering what is the disadvantage of having snapshot version.

Snapshot = beta, and the package repository is refreshed every night, you won't be able to install any kmods after <24 hrs.

1 Like

See https://openwrt.org/releases/snapshot

1 Like

Ah thanks it was good read.

Guys, I dont know if this is right place to ask, but please see the picture attached:

The overlay size available on my router is 24.30 MB. However in the specification of the router the flash size is 128MB. where did the rest of the space go ? Am I doing something wrong?

As mentioned by @mk24 I have installed the Snapshot : "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19508-0d2d52df69" .