Adding custom libopenssl package to firmware with imagebuilder

Hello,

I would like to build an image for my WRT3200ACM with a few extra packages using imagebuilder, and the latest stable firmware version (19.07.6). I want to add libopenssl to the firmware image, with the build option "Enabled optimization for speed instead of size", so I will have to build the package myself and add it to the stable image. I will also be installing a few other packages that depend on libopenssl, like wpad-openssl.

My question is, do I have to build the libopenssl package and everything that depends on it, then manually add all of the packages using imagebuilder, to have all packages benefit from the speed optimization? Or is it enough to only build the single libopenssl package, and add it to the firmware image?

Imagebuilder was a life saver. I tried compiling the firmware from scratch many times over the past month, and it did not go well for me. Thank you for all of your help, and for this excellent firmware.

while you probably could use the sdk and imagebuilder for something like this... it's not worth it ( unless you really want to investigate the process...

learning / using the buildroot is a much shallower learning process (and speedily reproducible without time consuming automation) for what you seek to achieve...

if you really don't want to use a buildroot... start with the sdk and install the packages on the router to test then go from there...

2 Likes

I included the cryptodev packages, so I'm wondering if I will actually notice any improvement...I have a basic home network, so I am guessing the performance gains will be so minimal that I probably won't notice anything. I am just going to use the regular libopenssl packages with cryptodev and leave it at that. It doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble.

Thanks for your suggestion

for some basic optimisations from a buildroot ( if your using one already ) these kinds of things are fairly easy...

but for cryptodev openssl stuff i'd tend to agree with you that it's not worth the hassle on typical routers / uses...

1 Like