Adding a package that may need to set ulimit on the build machine?

I'd like to suggest that a package be added to OpenWRT, and I am willing to maintain it.
Now, the package works fine (compiled and tested on a real device), but --
the original package make process creates very long lines to be sent to the shell, and the OpenWRT build environment makes that even larger, so compilation fails with execvp complaining about the size of the argument list.
There is a solution for that: since the size of the arg list is a fraction of the maximum stack size, issuing ulimit -s 65536 on the build machine fixes the problem.

So my question is: can the package be included in OpenWRT? Is there a way to include the call to ulimit in the Makefile (and is it considered ok to do so)?

(The package is the Chicken Scheme interpreter (http://call-cc.org), which could be used as a scripting language.)

Thank you!
J.

Patch the package would be my suggestion.

Having taken 6.031 from RMS himself, it doesn't surprise me that LISP and its offsprings lack grounding in reality and applicability in the real world.

Hello -- and thank you for answering!

Patch the package would be my suggestion.

I'm not sure why, but this morning I have tested it a couple of times and it seems to not need the workaround. I have probably messed the buildroot when I saw that error before.

(Chicken's Makefiles are quite simple, and now that I looked closer, the command lines are probably the usual size)

Having taken 6.031 from RMS himself, it doesn't surprise me that LISP and its offsprings lack grounding in reality and applicability in the real world.

Chicken is quite practical actually, and I believe that liking Lisp-like language is a matter of taste. I have done real work in Rexx, COBOL, C, C++, Java, some Lisps, Python, and also used other >20 languages in the past, and I can say there are some practical Lisp implementations! :slight_smile: (And I feel that they're good enough that I actually would want to use them instead of Pyhton, Ruby or Bash/zsh...)

Anyway -- although the build process is long, the binaries are not too large. Since I got no errors after re-installing the toolchain, I'll make a PR.

Thanks again for your answer!

J.

1 Like