Add support for Xiaomi AX1800 Wifi 6 router

I've repacked and used the 1.0.394 firmware without problems (which is the latest firmware for the Chinese AX1800).

2 Likes

Hi, how did you install adguardhome? I followed those steps, but when I enter the commannd below it says "Unknown package 'adguardhome'.". I changed the repositories in distfeeds.conf to the ones you listed.

opkg install adguardhome

Sorry for such a noobish question.

opkg update

first, please.

I just saw this on the OpenWRT wiki for the adguardhome package.

05/04/2022: The adguardhome opkg package is currently missing from snapshot builds due to a build failure. A patch has been submitted for developer approval. This is due to master using Go 1.18. The latest stable release of adguardhome 0.107.5 has an older verison of quic-go which does not support Go 1.18. You may wish to follow the manual installation instructions until the build issue is resolved.

I guess I'll have to wait. Thank you anyway.

If the wifi driver is the issue.

Can we not include the wifi drivers, and flash openwrt to AX1800 for use as a "Managed switch" only?

Apparently, there's no enough storage for me to install adguardhome. I'm installing it from OPKG, but it requests 10mb out of 4mb in the /overlay partition; is there any way to make it install it from the /etc folder? The binary is also 35mb,so I don't understand how it's asking just for 10mb.

Has anybody installed adguardhome on the ax1800?

I can install adblock through OPKG, but it doesn't work; when you call /etc/init.d/status it shows that it isn't enabled. Anybody knows about any ad blocker that works on this router?

IIRC just adblock 3.X works with the stock xiaomi firmware, and not all blocklist currently work with that adblock version.

I installed the 3.5 version and when I run the status command it says this:

::: adblock runtime information

• adblock_status : disabled
  • adblock_version : 3.5.5-2
  • overall_domains : 0 (normal mode)
  • fetch_utility : -
  • dns_backend : dnsmasq (/tmp)
  • last_rundate : -
  • system_release : Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. IPQ6018/AP-CP03-C1, OpenWrt 18.06-SNAPSHOT unknown

I obviously ran the start and enable commands, but I really can't seem to make any adblocker work.

I finally got it working, all I had to do was to enable it in the /etc/config/adblock file, then run the start and enable commands.

I ran into another issue after that, it was enabled but wasn't blocking any ads (the status command showed 0 overall domains): I downloaded core_utils and libustream-mbedtls, then changed the fetch utility (in /etc/config/adblock) to curl.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Has anyone managed to install Stubby and use Quad9's DNS over TLS servers?

• I downloaded Stubby and ca-bundle
  • I set the dns parameters on /etc/config/stubby
  • I changed both wan DNS servers to 127.0.0.1
  • Set the list server '127.0.0.1#5453' and option noresolv '1' in the dhcp file

But even so, it doesn't work. I don't even know how to read the log files on this router, because I don't want to download any extra package that might break something unrelated.

I replaced dnsmasq with unbound + odhcp + stubby without problems.

1 Like

Oh, thank you.

I got it all working (unbound, odhcp, adblock and stubby), but every time my power gets cut off (which is frequently) or if I reboot my router, I have to manually start unbound, stubby and adblock. I of course enabled them all through the enable commands, but they still don't start automatically after a reboot.

Did you have a similar issue? I even changed the triggers (on adblock and stubby) to timed and set it to 10s, but they still don't start automatically (nor outbound).

IIRC I edited /etc/rc.local and put there the commands to restart adblock, something like

sleep 20
/etc/init.d/adblock restart
/etc/init.d/unbound restart
/etc/init.d/stubby restart

I don't remember exactly why the problem occurs but seems that adblock or stubby started before the network connection, so it failed and refuses to start again, so for me, the solution was to wait until the network service was up and then start the other stuff in the correct order.
Btw you can follow the system log with the following command:
logread -f

1 Like

Stupid question, the gobal firmware Version: 3.0.34 Release hasnt been updated for the AX1800 in over 12 months. How vulernable is this thing?

Judging from the update cadence on the INT firmware for the ax3600 (which hasn't seen a single update at all after its initial release, 2 years ago), you can assume it to be highly insecure.

The default packages are pretty outdated too.

Such a waste.

When can we see the support for this router?

All I wanted is SQM for this router.

The ax1800 is pretty much guaranteed to 'never' be supported by OpenWrt (not enough RAM for ath11k).

2 Likes

I've been trying to get TLS to work with just Unbound and ohdcpd and realized why my dns requests weren't actually going through the port 853 (not being encrypted), the libopenssl package on this router is too old (1.02) and ssl handshakes fail because of that. Of course, I tried updating the ssl libraries and its dependencies one by one, but there's propietary (Xiaomi's) packages that depend on a ton of stuff that also need to be updated; you can't update most libraries without breaking something else.

Such a bummer and e-waste (like robimarko said), this is my first "openwrt" router and it's been a pain in the ass to do what I want with it. At least I learned some things about Linux, connecting through different protocols (my first time doing so) and about routers, I also know what to look for whenever I decide about buying a new router.