Add support for TP-Link RE450 v3

You seem to be experienced and had already a working build. Could you not build again and share it with us?

I could but already deleted all stuff so can't be arsed to get it all setup again. But you're free to do so yourself, the guide is pretty good on the wiki.

So the instructions are indeed relatively straight-forward, so I did as PiGat suggested.

The RE450 now cycles through a 3-step LED pattern, which I presume means I bricked it, right? (red ring + three blue LEDs, then blue ring and three blue LEDs, then just power LED, repeat)

Hello Gents,

Iā€™ve got v2 running for a year already and just purchased v3, didnā€™t expect that itā€™s not yet supported :frowning:

Has anyone succeeded, if thatā€™s that easy to adopt, can we expect some developers to do that?
Only the replacement f/w should be compiled manually?
Has anyone tried to forcibly sysupgrade v3 with v2 when openwrt is already flashed?

I believe thatā€™s a great device for AP with wifi roaming. I have already xiaomi + another re450.

Hello.

You have this sorted out?

No. So far, I haven't even found out what exact state the thing is in, now. Don't know whether I need to JTAG, or whether some other, simpler method might suffice.

Bummer.
How can we bring this to the attention of the developers, since it seems it is easy to support?
This doesn't seems to be doing the trick.

Well, there really is no "the developers"

Either someone takes this under their wings, or it won't happen.

Let me rephrase that: is this the better place to make it known that this is wanted, a place were it can be voted, kind of polled?

There should be serial console available, so you could see the boot log (you would need to unscrew it of course).
What did you try to flash exactly? Have you compiled an initial replacement f/w with updated values, so that device wonā€™t reject it?

Normally the biggest question is to determine what exactly should be changed in order to support it and include into nightly builds.

I followed @PiGat's advice above, compiled, and flashed.

Now I have the LED pattern I described above.

I also have to find the right Torx screwdriver to open the thing :slight_smile:

Have you tried to access it? Ping? Failsafe?

It was mentioned previously in this thread that the v2 firmware works perfectly on v3 too, only need to change the version number in the source code otherwise the firmware updater does not accept the new software.

I'm trying to do that build on my own, but how can I get the build configuration for v2 firmware? There're a lot of options in make menuconfig and I need exactly the same from which v2 was built.

In fact you need to build the factory fw only just to put openwrt on the device, then you can simply enforce sysupgrade of v2.

I see that factory build should be generated along with sysupgrade: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/imagebuilder
So basically keep all values default to get what we need :slight_smile:

No, nothing. It goes straight into that pattern I described.

Have tried failsafe and all sorts of pressing, waiting, powering on voodoo, but the pattern starts almost immediately when the router has power.

Must be a problem in the bootloader, I think.

I tried that, except I specified Target System ("ath79") and Subtarget ("generic")

Looking this up, I just realised that the v2 firmware is "ar71xx", not "ath79", but when you grep -lri re450 target/, there is code for the 450 V2 in both branches.

Confused now...

use ath79, not ar71xx.

1 Like

Okay, so here're the steps I follow:
Based on https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/quickstart-build-images

1. git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
2. cd openwrt
3. git checkout v19.07.2 (switch to tag)
4. ./scripts/feeds update -a
5. ./scripts/feeds install -a
6. make menuconfig
7. Switch to ath79, generic and exit
8. make

Is that it?