Add support for MikroTik RB5009UG

Yeah, you should add:

phy-mode = "10gbase-r";
managed = "in-band-status";

To port@0, that should as far as I remember

2 Likes

Okay. Silly question though - isn't this inherited from the cp0_eth0 node?

&cp0_eth0 {                                                                                                                                                               
        /* This port is connected to 88E6393X switch */                                                                                                                   
        status = "okay";                                                                                                                                                  
        phy-mode = "10gbase-r";                                                                                                                                           
        managed = "in-band-status";                                                                                                                                       
        nvmem-cells = <&macaddr_hard>;                                                                                                                                    
        nvmem-cell-names = "mac-address";                                                                                                                                 
        mac-address-increment = <0>;                                                                                                                                      
}; 
1 Like

No, they are completely separate things as far as the kernel is concerned.

2 Likes

Thanks, that fixes those errors indeed. Ethtool isn't reporting 2.5GBASE-T capability anymore on 6.1, I've gone through the QCA8081 related patches that were needed for 5.15, but they should all have been merged prior to 6.1. I have no means to test the 2,5 Gbps port at the moment, so if anyone can verify that would be nice.

Apart from the 2,5 Gbps capability everything looks the same.

On 5.15:

Summary
# ethtool p1
Settings for p1:
	Supported ports: [ TP	 MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	                        1000baseX/Full
	                        2500baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	                        1000baseX/Full
	                        2500baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: Unknown!
	Duplex: Unknown! (255)
	Auto-negotiation: on
	master-slave cfg: preferred slave
	master-slave status: unknown
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: external
	MDI-X: Unknown
	Supports Wake-on: g
	Wake-on: d
	Link detected: no

On 6.1:

Summary
# ethtool p1
Settings for p1:
	Supported ports: [ TP	 MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	                        1000baseX/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	                        1000baseX/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: Unknown!
	Duplex: Unknown! (255)
	Auto-negotiation: on
	master-slave cfg: preferred slave
	master-slave status: unknown
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: external
	MDI-X: Unknown
	Supports Wake-on: g
	Wake-on: d
	Link detected: no
1 Like

Thanks @Borromini & @robimarko!!

just a double check; @Borromini is the 6.1 patch on the RB5009 wiki updated ? Not sure if I read it correctly.....

1 Like

Yes, the link here and on the wiki point to the latest patch set.

5 Likes

@Haai @Arie Any feedback, especially on the QCA8081 is welcome BTW.

1 Like

I will.

Running 6.1.52 now for 24h. Haven’t got any 2.5 Gbps devices to test. 1Gb and SFP+ look stable.

3 Likes

Thanks for the 6.1 patch set :slight_smile:

The QCA8081 no longer works at 2.5Gb, connecting with a 2.5Gb capable adapter to this port will link at 1Gbit instead.

3 Likes

I suspected as much, since ethtool didn't advertise 2,5 Gbps capability anymore.

@robimarko Would you mind taking a look when you have the time? I do realise it should be fully supported by now, but this seems like a regression - or maybe something missing from the DTS? I see the qualcommax target supports multiple devices with QCA8081, but the device trees that show up don't make me any wiser.

qualcommax is using the driver from SSDK for QCA8081 but I doubt this is a PHY driver issue as the driver had little to no changes.
It's more likely that mv88e6xxx driver had a regression in advertising the port capabilities.

I may be able to dig my board out and try this out over the weekend but no promises

8 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate it.

1 Like

Question about the image matching 23.05.0 (when ready). Anyone so kind to provide this?

I mean with luci and the release modules compatibility?

Thanks

2 Likes

Am I correct that the RB5009UPr+S+IN can run from the same set of patches as the RB5009UG+S+IN, with exception to its PoE functionality?

In what state is this, how feasible it to get PoE working on UPr model?

I would like to know if getting the PoE version of that router makes sense, even if not having the PoE functional for some time yet.

1 Like

This is correct. I have the PoE version and run OpenWRT on it with these patches. No PoE functionality indeed.

1 Like

I can successfully do everything except read the current port status and power (Mikrotik RB750 r2 series POE - #69 by TheChaosJack see my last two posts here. Setting the one GPIO pin could also be moved to the device tree for a more permanent setup).

3 Likes

I did not look at the API but the get_poe sounds like the status info only. Does it mean the PoE cable negotiation works for all the 8 ports and the peers are correctly powered?

1 Like

Yes PoE is fully working. You can even select off, forced on and auto for each port.

4 Likes

Thank you for the patch and dts instructions. I've simply set all ports to auto and that works exactly as I hoped.

2 Likes

Is mainline support for this device realistic this year?
I know that everyone does it in their free time and for free, that's why I'm only asking about plans :slight_smile: