Add OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi AX6000"

Hello, everyone. Have you all gone to the festival? Why is nobody discussing this project?

There’s preliminary support in a pull request up on OpenWrt GitHub. I think anyone who is willing to build it themselves and test it are simply still testing it.

I myself have been testing it and have found a few issues that don’t have a perfect solution yet, but it’s being worked on. Some of the discussion is in the PR.

1 Like

OK ,You did great

Okay seems like this is working perfectly now. Just pending approval to get merged in. Awesome job @remittor finding that bug and everyone else involved!

3 Likes

This sounds great, thanks everyone for their hard work on this. By "working perfectly" do you mean to say that OpenWrt is working with all features (subject to the usual disclaimers regarding the very bleeding edge nature and limited testing of the current builds course), or just that the basics are working well, but there's still additional known issues/features that will need to be fixed before OpenWrt is running well on this router?

I ask because I need to order a new router quite soon and am now very tempted by this one, assuming there doesn't appear to be any big/obvious hurdles preventing a release OpenWrt build from appearing in the next few months or so. I came close to ordering an AX3200 but was put off by the slow AX performance as well as the longstanding squashfs bug.

Note that I'm new to OpenWrt but am a software dev with reverse engineering experience so aren't afraid to get my hands dirty with gaining ssh, compiling test/beta builds, appreciate there's still likely to be bugs etc.

Yes the only issues I'm aware of are:

1. LED on top doesn't work, just stays solid blue as theres no driver for it.
  2. 802.11ax performance on Apple (maybe more generally Broadcom devices) still sucks, but I don't think it's specific to MT76. See 802.11ax worse than 802.11ac with mt76 driver? - #110 by soxrok2212
    For reference, I did a iperf3 test between my Q-Hora 301w and a Redmi AX6000 connected via WDS and achieved just over 1gbit/s. I did also send Apple a bug report but it's not likely they're going to do anything about it.

Otherwise, yes outside of bleeding edge nature all appears to work well.

1 Like

Brilliant, that was about what I thought, thanks for confirming. I'll go ahead and order one then :grinning:

1 Like

Be sure to follow the flash instructions here very precisely https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/10690

I haven't tried the SSH flashing method, only UART/tftpboot but the u-boot env options are very important so u-boot doesn't randomly break itself and require you to open up the case.

Some change may come later on to move the partitions around and keep Xiaomi scheme for easy reverting, but I don't plan on going back to a firmware that calls back home so I reclaimed all that space for myself. :wink:

Thanks, will do, I'm keeping an eye on that pull request already quite closely. I'm ordering from AliExpress to the UK so by the time it finally arrives the install process no doubt will have changed a bit anyway :laughing: Like you I'm unlikely to want to revert to stock firmware.

Which chip controls the LEDs?

For the second point, I have seen a similar low performance problem with the updated firmware of TP-link 6088 with the same chip, but they are finally solved (not sure, I do not have the machine)

Updated firmware as in proprietary mediatek drivers?

https://service.tp-link.com.cn/search_download?classtip=software&kw=TL-XDR6088易展Turbo版&downloadPageNum=1&readmore=0

I only see one firmware and do not have one. so I maybe can not provide more help...

So does flashing require serial access? Looking at the instructions on the git commit "5. Interrupt U-Boot and run these commands:" As far as I know U-Boot can only be interrupted by sending ESC over serial or is this possible another way?

No, though I haven't tried this method. See https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/10690#issuecomment-1253184148

I did, all went fine till point 7 when I got bricked after sysupgrade -n /tmp/squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

You can alway connect a serial console to unbrick. Usually isn’t typo difficult.

I've already ordered a CH341A, but it's not my area of expertise at all. It would be nice to share a tutorial for noobs like me.
However, I'm afraid this device will remain bricked forever.

CH341A is a chip programmer. You need a cheap serial adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Serial-Converter-Development-Projects/dp/B075N82CDL

I will have it by tomorrow, is exactly the same I ordered.
How I interrupt U-Boot? ESC or 1 key? Can you please do some simple steps to follow?
I'm assuming that the firmware should be this mediatek_mt7986a-rfb-initramfs-kernel.bin form here Index of /snapshots/targets/mediatek/filogic/ (openwrt.org), is this correct?