Adblock support thread

That's a wrong expectation, answer see here Adblock support thread

So its normal @dibdot ? I think I understand that the cookie is detected but requests to that domain are blocked by AdBlock. Correct?

Actually the problem was the trigger been to unspecified.
Now it does not hang on running. But I face another problem.
If I restart the router everything works as expected and the status is enabled and around 100k domains blocked.
If I leave it for a couple of hours, the 100k blocked domains, return to 0
Again no logs.

adblck on OpenWrt doesn't detect[0] anything, it merely blacklists DNS requests to known-bad domains (based on the static blacklists you've configured). While this is already amazingly effective, it can never catch all - and by (necessary-)design, it can't analyze the webpages themselves[1].

--
[0] and even if it wanted to, it's not possible, as most of all web traffic is SSL encrypted these days.
[1] in order to do this, you'd need a rather heavy proxy instead, which could analyze the requested resources and modify them on the fly, but even these are powerless with today's https-everywhere ecosystem --> only your local client, your webbrowser, gets to see the actual source and can apply more effective measures.

1 Like

Yes, it certainly does. A bit of a brute to find! And the wikis are sparse.

1 Like

It's opensource, everyone is encouraged to made it better.

You're right, I've thought about it and the router is a layer 3 device and therefore does not interpret http requests. Being level 3 it can work only at the IP level and exceptionally as you said by querying the DNS servers to know the domain. But the next question is: Is it possible to use the Adblock service together with the DnsCrypt service? . The AdGuard Dns in addition to offering encrypted queries also allows you to have a filter function. I don't know what kind but I would like to understand if these two services can coexist or conflict with each other.

Sorry, not complaining about Adblock but rather the sparse info in the devdocs/userdocs/forums about procd. Adblock works as advertised for me.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Adblock app. I previously used piHole, however since I bought a Turris Omnia, I thought it'd be best to leverage the more powerful router and run adblock on it.

The problem is, adblock does not seem to be working. I've got it enabled and set up with blocklists:

When I go to the DNS report tab, I do not see any NX'd domains: https://ibb.co/X57TbFC

Stranger still, to test I added a domain to my blocklist(www.dailymail.co.uk), restarted the service and was still able to access this domain so something is amiss here:

I've also checked whether my router is being advertised as the DNS for my devices:

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! I'd really like to get this working properly. Sorry for the image links, seems new users are only able to add a single embed!

Hi,

please set your dns backend to "kresd", the default resolver in Turris OS, save your changes and restart adblock or restart your router.

1 Like

@dibdot Would it be possible to move to an email reporting solution other than msmtp, it does not appear work with Gmail 2FA + App password's?
And perhaps a function to /etc/init.d/adblock to send a test email when email reporting is enabled?

OpenWRT's ssmtp package works fine with 2FA + App password.

Nope, ssmtp is unmaintained since years and we've removed that package from master.
msmtp works just fine with gmail (even with enabled 2FA - e.g. I use it just like that).

Just navigate to /etc/adblock and start adblock.mail manually for email testing.

1 Like

Awesome, that worked!

@dibdot

is it possible to insert the other remaining Energized lists available as on https://energized.pro/index.html#packs?

We support already 5 energized variants, I think this is more than enough. If you need more variants just add it on your own, please.

1 Like

Sure it is not a problem if is possible to do. Can you suggest how? Thanks.

The readme is always a good starting point.

1 Like

Is it possible to run addblock on different interfaces with different rules ?

I wish to add the ability to block adds on different interfaces have safe search on one only and black lists, basically a guest/kids, adults/user arangment.

Huh - I would be happy if Adblock would let me choose (all) the interface for forcing local DNS...

@dibdot Can you change the interface for enforcing use of local dns from hard coded (i.e. 'lan') to configurable? Preferrably via the luci-app. Provide a multi-choice dropdown for instance.
I think quite a few people use more than one LAN interface.